Pleasing the Boston Po Po

We should all be responsible at the tailgate

By The Crimson Staff

In criticizing the behavior of students during the Harvard-Yale game two years ago, the Boston Police Department (BPD) was livid about what it felt were widespread incidents of “public urination.” Then, we defended our kin by pointing to the dearth of available Port-a-Potties. That excuse didn’t fly then, and, apparently, it won’t have to now. We have been assured as we head into this 123rd Game that Ohiri Field will be fully lined with public toilets. Let’s use them.

More than that, while much has been made of what seem to be unduly harsh restrictions on this year’s tailgate, much less attention has been given to how we can avoid even harsher restrictions in the future and how we can generally ensure a safe and fun tailgate. Despite the widespread belief that this year’s tailgate will mark a return to Prohibition, Harvard-Yale will not be dry. Those who provide proof of age will be sold $1 beer at the tailgate. Moreover, many of us will find other ways and times—before, during, and after the game—to drink, but it is of utmost importance that we do so in moderation.

The risks associated with overdrinking are well known; there are high correlations between drunkenness and sexual assault, and heavy drinking can even lead to death. Our boys in blue did not just get involved in our tailgates out of the blue. In 2002, an intoxicated Harvard student almost died in an ambulance stuck in the tailgate mud. We all need to be safe for our individual and communal benefit.

We don’t believe the level of this year’s restrictions is necessary or even that in and of itself it will lead to a marked increase in student safety. Instead, it falls upon us to act responsibly. Both for our individual safety, and for the potential of more relaxed regulations in the future, we hope to have a safe and enjoyable day.