WEB UPDATE: St. Lawrence Holds Off Harvard

Saints score three goals in last five minutes of second period

By The Crimson Staff

The No. 16 Harvard men's hockey team fell to 0-3 for the first time since the 1951-52 season, falling just short in a comeback bid and losing to St. Lawrence by a 5-4 margin.

The Saints got on the board first with two scores in the first period, but the Crimson responded to tie it in the second on goals by captain Dylan Reese and junior Jon Pelle.

Just as it had in the first two games of the season, however, the end of the second period spelled disaster for Harvard. A giveaway by Reese deep in his own zone, an unfortunate deflection off of freshman Chad Morin, and a check by Jack Christian that turned the puck loose in front of Harvard's net resulted in three unanswered St. Lawrence goals to run the score to 5-2.

The Crimson made things interesting in the third period, atoning for the errors of the second frame with aggressive hitting and a tenacious forecheck. Sophomore Bill Keenan and senior Ryan Maki scored early in the period to bring Harvard within one.

Goaltender Justin Tobe was pulled for an extra skater with just under a minute left, but even though the Crimson applied steady pressure on the Saints' net and took several shots on goal in the game's final seconds, St. Lawrence was able to withstand Harvard's late bid for its first ECAC victory of the season.

The Crimson will seek to avoid dropping to 0-4 when it takes on Boston College on Tuesday.

Men's Ice Hockey