As the Indian Ocean Globalized

By Andrew A. Durtschi, Contributing Writer

Sugata Bose, Gardiner professor of oceanic history and affairs, hopes to provide a different view on an old topic for historians: British imperialism in the Indian Ocean.

“A Hundred Horizons: The Indian Ocean in the Age of Global Empire,” Bose’s latest work, is an intriguing read. He chooses not to focus on the European colonialists as central players in the realm of South Asia, but rather as one of the many players in a complex community.

Bose’s central argument is that the world did not suddenly jump from a collection of nation-states to the era of globalization. Instead, there is an oft-overlooked intermediary period between the two extremes.

This middle stage was one of large swaths of land and people, countries with nebulous frontiers and boundaries, held together through a decentralized power structure, commerce and common interests.

Bose—who teaches Historical Study B-34, “The World in 1776”—raises some intriguing questions. He challenges a commonly held Eurocentric view of history, the influence of the British Empire on the world, and the very nature of empire itself.

Bose does not believe that the colonial practices of Britain aided global development. He asserts that the Western notion of the nation-state with rigid boundaries and populations ultimately hindered a ‘universalist’ world.

He breaks away from the view that Britain facilitated global trade, and instead posits that the British simply disrupted a functioning system of Asian markets already in place well before Europeans arrived in India.

Furthermore, Bose questions the validity of the Roman style of sovereignty, comparing it to the more loosely organized South Asian conception of Empire.

Unfortunately, several factors hamper the exploration of these topics.

Bose’s style is best described as “dry.” Do not pick up this book expecting to find the literary style of David McCullough.

“A Hundred Horizons” may take a different tack in examining history, but it most certainly follows the traditional stylistic tenants of historical writing. It is not a page-turner. This book is for someone with abundant time and a keen interest in the subject.

In fact, prior interest in the history of British-controlled India or South Asian history is almost a prerequisite for reading the book. It’s not for anyone seeking an introduction to Imperial-Era South Asia.

Even history enthusiasts may have trouble working through Bose’s work. Terms are often used without definitions, and the text often assumes prior knowledge about certain places and events.

However, a patient history buff with solid backing in South Asia should find “A Hundred Horizons” to be a rewarding read.

Bose’s anecdotal examples of larger trends are particularly fascinating. For example, he shows the richness of Indian Ocean commerce by following non-European merchants and traders as they exchange pearls and cloves. A later chapter centers on the travels of poet Rabindranath Tagore to exhibit the abundance of cultural exchange and interconnectivity found in the Indian Ocean rim.

Through these narratives, Bose is able to assert his claim that global unity through trade, travel, and immigration are not solely due to the efforts of Europe and the West. Though the writing may be tedious at times, the topic and thesis of “A Hundred Horizons” is refreshing.

A Hundred Horizons
By Sugata Bose
Harvard University Press
Out Now