Student Robbed Near Quad

Three men with gun steal undergrad’s wallet, cell phone in assault

By Reed B. Rayman, Crimson Staff Writer

A male Harvard undergraduate was robbed at gunpoint early this morning just a few meters from the Quad, police said.

The victim, whose name has not been released, reported to police that at around 2:30 a.m., he was approached by three men as he walked on the corner of Garden and Sheppard streets.

According to a community advisory released by the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD), the victim reported that one of the men, who appeared to be carrying a handgun, then threw him to the ground and ordered him to hand over his possessions. After handing over his wallet and cell phone, the victim reported, one of the suspects then struck him in the head with the handgun.

The suspects then fled the scene.

According to the release, the victim was treated for “minor injuries” before being released.

The incident, which took place at an intersection that borders the Radcliffe Quad campus, comes only one day after Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71 announced that the Cambridge Police Department (CPD) was increasing the number of police patrols assigned to the Quad.

According to the advisory, the victim was not able to provide detailed descriptions of the suspects to police.

Because the incident did not occur on Harvard University property, it is currently being investigated by the CPD.

HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano declined to comment on the record for this article. CPD spokesman Frank T. Pasquarello could not be reached for comment.

—Check www.thecrimson.com for updates.

—Staff writer Reed B. Rayman can be reached at rrayman@fas.harvard.edu.