Refurbished Fly-By Returns to Loker

By Evan M. Vittor, Crimson Staff Writer

The Loker pub won’t be completed until late spring, but students “of age” can once again get their fly-by in Loker.

Due to construction of the pub, fly-by was temporarily moved to the Memorial Hall transept this semester. But starting yesterday, it returned to a newly renovated location in Loker Commons.

Signs were up in the temporary Memorial Hall location yesterday to redirect upperclass students downstairs.

According to Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) Director for Marketing and Communications Crista Martin, its return to Loker Commons will be permanent, even after the pub opens in the spring.

“Its placement in the transept was temporary until the construction allowed it to go into the permanent space,” Martin said.

Martin said that the menu will stay the same, but there are some minor service improvements.

“Easy trafficking was factored into the new space,” Martin said.

Students contacted by The Crimson said that while the new fly-by presented a very nice setting, they did not see significant changes from the old fly-by in Loker.

“It wasn’t very busy but I don’t see why it would move quicker,” said Daniel C. Carroll ’09, who is a Crimson Business Editor.

But Carroll added that the décor was very pleasant.

“It was really, really nice,” Carroll said. “It looks very much like a store rather than a cafeteria.”

In other HUDS news, Martin said that the Student Advisory Committee to HUDS will be meeting on Thursday to brainstorm ways that students can improve student service.

One of the committee’s primary initiatives last year—HUDS e-mail alerts for students—has yet to go online despite a scheduled September launch date. Martin said that the updates, which will let students know when their favorite meals are being served, should be online soon.

Martin said that the committee will discuss ways in which students can develop their own recipes using dining hall staples.

“They’re very interested in putting together recipes that let students think outside the dining hall box,” Martin said.

—Staff Writer Evan M. Vittor can be reached at evittor@fas.harvard.edu.