FM's Senior Soiree

Though Harvard’s a pretty well-rounded place, it’s still rare to see a group this diverse sit down to dinner together

Though Harvard’s a pretty well-rounded place, it’s still rare to see a group this diverse sit down to dinner together at Harvard. And no, we don’t mean that friendly, love-your-neighbor kind of diversity your mother fooled you into appreciating, but rather the diversity of the most interesting members of the Class of 2007.

By 5:30, the Eliot JCR buzzes as FM’s picks make their unlikely rounds. Next to a pile of steaming burritos and bottles of two-buck Chuck, a rocker in a brown polyester jacket chats with a beautiful geek in suspenders. Over by the couches, a sourdough CEO with a soothing French accent sits beside a renowned breaker in sweats and sneakers. And some of Harvard’s most vocal activists—on both sides of the spectrum—talked blogs.

Underneath every conversation was the underlying question: Why are you here? Why am I here?

“I always thought that these were the seniors who weren’t chosen to be the fifteen hottest freshmen four years ago. But looking around, I can see that’s not true. There are some seriously good-looking people here tonight,” Tracy E. Nowski ’07 says.

But no, it’s not looks. It’s rhythm and acumen. It’s discussion and rock and roll. It’s because he travels, and because she speaks, and because he acts. It’s an Olympic medalist and a campus all-star. It’s faith. It’s creativity. It’s hottness. And it’s so much more.

It’s FM’s annual Fifteen Most Interesting Seniors.