SPORTS BRIEF: In final event of 2006, Rathgeber powers men’s swimming to No. 4.

By Julie R.S. Fogarty, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s swimming and diving team finished No. 4 over the three-day Georgia Invitational in Athens, Ga. this weekend.

Southern California, which finished with 951 points, held on to win against the host Bulldogs (884 points). The Crimson (610.5) finished behind Missouri (635).

Junior Geoff Rathgeber started the meet with a bang, winning the 200 IM medley on Friday, and nailed a provisional NCAA-qualifying time of 1:47.34. The junior was one of five Crimson swimmers to reach the A finals in their respective events on Friday, as Harvard finished the first day of competition No. 4 with 171 points.

Three Harvard swimmers finished in the top ten of the 500 freestyle, as junior Sam Wollner finished No. 4, freshman Mason Brunnick took No. 6, and sophomore David Guernsey came in at No. 8. The Crimson’s top 200 relay team finished No. 5, while the 400 medley team placed No. 4.

Rathgeber continued to impress on Saturday with a No. 2 finish in the 100-yard breaststroke and a No. 3 finish in the 400 individual medley.

Yesterday, the 400 relay team finished off a strong Crimson showing with a third place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Also on the day, sophomore twins Dan and Bill Jones finished in the top five in the 200 yard butterfly. Sophomore Eric Lynch and Wollner finished No. 3 and No. 5, respectively, in the 1650 yard freestyle.

The Crimson will not compete again until January 5, when it travels to Rutgers.

—JULIE R. S. FOGARTY

Men's Swimming