One Step Closer to Ivy Title

Men's and women's teams brave storm to return with two victories apiece

Timothy Hagamen and the men’s fencing team will have to wait two weeks to face the as-yet undefeated Princeton squad—only then will the Crimson learn its end-of-season ranking.
By Alexandra C. Bell, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard fencing teams faced an epic battle through blizzard and breakdowns yesterday to take home two more wins each, over Brown and Penn, which brought them one step closer to the all-important Ivy League title.

The men’s and women’s teams endured a four-hour bus journey to travel the 20 miles from their hotel in New Jersey to Columbia, where the events were held, including four occasions when the fencers themselves had to force their vehicle out of the snowdrifts.

“We didn’t actually know if we’d make it to the tournament,” women’s co-captain Chloe Stinetorf said. “We literally got out of the bus and pushed it out of the snow four times.”

The effort was well worth it, though, as both teams returned with parallel victories in pocket, 21-6 over Brown and 16-11 over Penn.

Princeton, another expected competitor on Sunday, could not make it because of the weather conditions, postponing the final outcome of the Ivy League Championships for two weeks, when Harvard will face them during the IFA championships in Philadelphia.

Even at this point, however, the women’s team, which won last year’s title, can rest assured that it has a share of the winner’s trophy.

“We have at least claimed the co-title,” Stinetorf said, “but we want to win it outright.”

She said that the team had done a “really, really amazing job,” citing Penn as one of Harvard’s toughest competitors for the title this year.

“We anticipated that Columbia and UPenn were going to be really intense competition for us, and they were,” she said. “This year we weren’t the underdog like we were last year; everyone was out to get us, so we didn’t take anything for granted.”

The women’s sabre squad beat Penn, 7-2, and the foil won, 5-4, with foilists Stinetorf and senior Emily Cross both going 5-1 in their bouts. Epee narrowly lost, 4-5.

“Sabre, 7-2, against Penn was a really good score as Penn has a very strong sabre squad,” Stinetorf said. “But what separates our team from other teams is that we don’t have to rely on one particular squad to win—everyone pitches in.”

She added that she thought the Crimson stood a good chance against Princeton in two weeks.

“We’re very optimistic, and very excited,” she said.

Co-captain Anne Austin agreed.

“This year [Princeton] aren’t as strong,” she said. “I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but I think we have a good chance. We just have to stay focused.”

The men’s team was also pleased with its wins in Columbia. Co-captain David Jakus highlighted the epee squad, which went 8-1 over Penn.

“The Brown meet went pretty well, which was important for us to re-focus,” he said, noting the distraction of the bus dilemma. “Penn was a big win for us. I was particularly happy with the way the team performed.”

Julian Rose added that the adventure illustrated team cohesion in another way.

“As soon as we had that team effort we knew we would win today,” he said, adding, “Nothing can stop the bus.”

Princeton’s men’s fencing squad is as-yet undefeated in the tournament, and so whether the Harvard men eventually place first or second all depends on the outcome of the event in Philadelphia. Jakus said that it was “a little disappointing” that Princeton hadn’t been able to make it to the meet yesterday, but added that the team was excited and eager to prove its mettle against the Tigers in two weeks.

—Staff writer Alexandra C. Bell can be reached at acbell@fas.harvard.edu.

Fencing