The Crusade for a Moral Budget

Christians should be outraged by recent budget cuts

By Loui Itoh

Two months ago, 150 religious leaders gathered in the rotunda of the Capitol to pray for the failure of a budget bill that would cut $40 billion from education, health care, and child support for low-income families while giving tax cuts to the rich. The participants in this civil disobedience protest included Catholic bishops, Protestant ministers, rabbis, imams, and volunteers who work at faith-based charities—a diverse group, united by a conviction that this budget bill was against their deepest religious beliefs. The protestors knew that they would be arrested for blocking the entrance of the Capitol, but felt it was a small price to pay to try to convince politicians that the budget is a moral document, and that it is immoral to cut programs that are meant to help the poor. This bill is so heartless that after it becomes law, disabled children from impoverished families will not be able to receive crutches.

Despite the vocal outcry from religious leaders, the bill passed the Senate in December, squeezed by the House with a mere two votes (216-214) on February 1, and now awaits President Bush’s signature.

My immediate reaction to the disregard shown by the politicians towards the protest was to wonder why politicians will meet with religious leaders on issues such as gay marriage and abortion, but completely ignore these same leaders when they protest an immoral budget. Pastor Fred Haynes of Friendship West Baptist Church in Dallas pointed out the hypocrisy of Christian politicians who voted for this bill, saying, “Budgets, in a real sense, reflect your real spirit and your real heart. Don’t tell us about being faith-based, don’t tell us about compassionate conservatism when your budget slashes and does damage to those who are most vulnerable.”

In addition to the Capitol Hill protest, five mainline Christian denominations issued a joint-statement, and the National Catholic Rural Life Conference launched an ad-campaign asking Christians to lobby against the bill. Despite all of this opposition from a diverse array of religious groups, many self-declared Christian politicians went ahead and voted for this bill, showing that they were at best misguided in their faith and at worse disingenuous.

It is also frustrating—and curious—that conservative Christian organizations are not taking a stance on the budget. Focus on the Family says it is a matter of priorities, and their priorities are abortion, same-sex marriage, and seating judges who will back these positions. I’d like them to point out where in the Bible it says abortion and same-sex marriage are designated as the most important priorities for Christians, when alleviating poverty—mentioned over 3000 times in the New Testament alone—was clearly one of Jesus’ most emphasized teachings.

The American Family Association has an even more amusing excuse—they did not speak out on the budget bill because “the budget bores people.” They instead focused their energies on complaining about businesses that used the words “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” because apparently, quibbling over two words was a more worthwhile cause for Christians than helping “the least of these.”

Even worse are the Christian organizations on the right, such as the Family Research Council, that supported the budget bill. They argue that tax cuts stimulate the economy and help everyone by providing jobs, etc. But a study conducted by United for a Fair Economy reveals that, Bush’s “tax cuts have not produced the jobs promised, [and] the quality of jobs as measured by income, health insurance, and retirement benefits has declined.” Indeed, job creation under President George W. Bush has been the lowest since World War II, while hourly and weekly wages are dropping. Poverty has risen in the last four years, and 9.2 million working families are on the brink of destitution. The failure of Bush’s tax cuts to produce real economic progress and improve conditions for the poor indicates that trickle-down economics are not working. The budget bill, which in many ways represents a continuation of these failed policies, is a step in the wrong direction that will inevitably hurt the poorest and most vulnerable citizens, something that Christians and other people of faith should be concerned about.

Another argument given by Christians in favor of the budget bill is that Christians should help the poor, but they should do it through charitable-giving, not through taxation. However, all the charities in the U.S. simply do not have the resources to feed, clothe, care for, and educate all the poor people in the country. And even if the government eliminated the “burden” of taxation, there is no evidence that people would voluntarily donate enough to adequately aid the poor. Furthermore, the Gospel makes it clear that Christians should go to great lengths to help the poor, doing whatever is necessary. Jesus says, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven.” Jesus does not differentiate between private giving or government support—he just asks us to help the poor, and this budget bill clearly does not.

Economic evidence demonstrates that you can’t help the poor by giving tax cuts which disproportionately help the rich. Common sense says that you can’t help the poor by getting rid of taxes and relying on charitable contributions. Scriptural evidence reveals that Christians should be fighting poverty, not the labeling on holiday stationary. Despite the efforts of hundreds of religious leaders to halt this immoral bill, it passed both Houses of Congress and is about to become law. How can so many people who claim to live by Jesus’ teachings support a bill that cuts funding that is necessary to feed, clothe, and care for so many?

Loui Itoh ’07 is a government and comparative study of religion concentrator in Quincy House. Her column appears on alternate Wednesdays.