University at a Crossroads

By Michael B. Broukhim and Matthew S. Meisel

In the two days since University President Lawrence H. Summers announced his resignation, many pertinent questions have arisen. Some concern the circumstances of the resignation itself, while others consider Summers’ accomplishments and shortcomings in his five years as president. His resignation also gives the Harvard community a chance to ask about not only the characteristics we wish to see in the next president but also the broader goals and visions that we hope the University will strive for over the long term. More immediately, there are concerns over the current state of the University, including the future of initiatives that began under Summers (most notably the Harvard College Curricular Review), as well as the nature of the relationships between faculty, students, and the University central administration.

Over the coming days, The Crimson’s editorial board plans to publish a variety of opinions on these topics from students, professors, and alumni, as well as from readers outside the Harvard community. All interested readers are welcome to share their thoughts, either as letters to the editor (under 250 words) or as longer op-eds pieces (700 to 900 words). All submissions should be sent to letters@thecrimson.com.

—Matthew S. Meisel ’07 and Michael B. Broukhim ’07, editorial chairs

A Legacy of Searching for the Truth
by Prof. Edward Glaeser

Leaders Who Listen
by Prof. Howard Gardner

Don’t Delay the Curricular Review, but Do Delay Concentration Choice

by Emily Riehl '06