SPORTS BRIEF: Trinity trounces Men’s Squash by a final tally of 8-1, extending longest current winning streak in NCAA sports

By The Crimson Staff

The Harvard men’s squash team suffered its first loss of the season Saturday in Hartford, Conn. at the hands of the top-ranked team in the nation, 8-1, while Trinity improved its record to 11-0 on the year. The Crimson (4-1, 3-0 Ivy) is tied with Yale for the top spot in the Ivy League with three wins each, while Princeton and Penn are tied at third.

Throughout the day, Harvard never put up a serious challenge to Trinity’s eight-season winning streak, which now stands at 136 victories—the longest streak in intercollegiate sports.

The Crimson’s only win of the day came at the first position match, where junior Siddharth Suchde—ranked third in the nation—dominated Gustav Detter, 9-6, 9-3, 9-0.

All of the subsequent matches, however, belonged to Trinity, with six of the eight matches decided in only three games.

Captain Will Broadbent struggled against Shaun Johnstone in the second position, who dispatched him in three straight, 9-3, 9-7, 9-2.

Junior Ilan Oren, playing in the third position, almost gave Harvard its second win of the day by winning two of his first three games, but fell 7-9, 7-9 to Jacques Swanepoel in the last two games to lose in five.

Juniors Jason DeLierre and Garnett Booth, freshman Verdi DiSesa, and sophomore Chessin Gertler played in the next four positions, and all lost in three straight, with Trinity players shutting out their Crimson opponents in five of the 12 contested games within those matches.

Freshman Niko Hrdy, playing in the eighth position, lost the first two games to Coly Smith, but came back to win the third.

Smith, however, edged him out in the fourth, 10-9. In the final position, Simba Muhwati defeated junior Mihir Sheth, 9-7, 9-5, 9-3.

Harvard now looks to bounce back and keep a hold on to the top spot in the Ivies as it hosts Penn on Saturday and Princeton on Sunday at the Murr Center.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Squash