SPORTS BRIEF: While Track and Field competes in the non-scoring Dartmouth Invitational, Scherf races amongst nation’s best

By The Crimson Staff

The Harvard track and field teams traveled north this weekend to compete in the non-scoring Dartmouth Invitational in Hanover, N.H. A number of the team’s top competitors did not make the trip in lieu of next weekend’s important meet against Yale and Princeton, while the women’s top performer, sophomore Lindsey Scherf, went to Notre Dame to compete with some of the nation’s best.

For the men, senior James Rhodes and junior Peter Mullen were the only two athletes to win their events. The former led a sweep of the top three spots in the weight throw with a toss of 16.00 meters, while the latter won the 3000 meter run with a time of 8:51.34.

The other bright spots during the day were sophomore Alex Lewis’ second-place finish in the long jump and classmate Christopher Green’s similar finish in the 800-meter run.

The Crimson women swept the top two spots in the pole vault and the 60 meter hurdles, with sophomore Clara Blattler’s clearance of 3.51 meters and senior Mary Serdakowski’s time of 9.07 leading the way.

Sophomore Sarah Bourne also won the 5000-meter run with a time of 18:00.94.

By herself, Scherf competed in the Meyo Invitational, placing second amongst 44 racers in the 3000 meter run.

The only racer to beat her was the 2005 NCAA cross country champion, Johanna Nilsson.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Track and Cross Country