Black Women Stress Support at Gala

By Nina L. Vizcarrondo, Crimson Staff Writer

Appreciation and support were the emphases at The 12th Annual Celebration of Black Women organized by the Harvard Black Men’s Forum (BMF) Saturday night.

Presenters and attendees alike said that the event served an important purpose that is often over-looked.

“There was nothing like this when I was here,” said Master of Ceremony Aya de León ’89.

“I really give props to the younger generation for creating this culture of appreciation between black men and black women,” de León added.

“People outside the college community are always commenting on how positive and unique these sorts of events are,” said Nicole M. Laws ’06, president of the Association of Black Harvard Women and former co-chair of its Tribute to Black Men.

Lumumba B. Seegars ’09, a BMF member and performer at the celebration, pressed the importance of such a forum in a “society focused on the objectification of women...their bodies and not their minds, actions or achievements.”

The multi-generational scope of the evening’s honorees reflected the themes of heritage and continuity.

Co-Chair of the event, Ofole U. Mgbako ’06, said that the theme of this year’s festivities was “supreme perseverance.”

Seven Harvard seniors were celebrated for exemplary leadership, a high school senior was presented with a $2,000 scholarship, and Pamela G. Carlton, co-founder of Springboard-Partners in Cross Cultural Leadership, was honored with the Woman of the Year Award.

The Senior Leadership Awards were given to seniors who had “contributed to Harvard and the world,” said BMF officer Bryan C. Barnhill ’08.

Each senior was celebrated in a video and then serenaded by an underclassman before receiving an award.

“It’s just made my year,” said honoree Tanya A. Thompson ’06, as she thanked the BMF for the award in her video.

The personal serenades were a new addition to this year’s program.

They “were a very personal touch that I appreciated,” said award-winner Laws.

After the celebration of the senior leaders, de León praised the support network she said she could observe amongst Harvard’s black female leaders.

“It’s that synergy and interdependence that allows us all to rise,” she said.

And younger students did profess to feel inspired by the senior recipients.

“They made me realize that its not just about graduating in four years,” said Jessica V. Robinson ’09. “It matters what you do in the four years.”

Alana V. Davis ’06, Marilyn Hylton ’06, Nicole Laws ’06, Kudzai Makomva ’06, Tanya A. Thompson ’06, Jennifer Wynn ’06, and Monica M. Clark ’06, who is also a Crimson editor, were the other recipients of the senior leadership awards.

The event, which was attended by 360 students, alums, and community members, has expanded in size in past years according to the organizers.

“It’s really become something bigger and deeper and more meaningful every year,” said Mgbako.