Increase in Student Groups Debated

By Matthew S. Lebowitz, Crimson Staff Writer

The Committee on College Life (CCL) revisited the issue of the rapidly increasing number of student groups at its monthly meeting yesterday.

Some committee members said that the limited resources available for student groups—such as Undergraduate Council (UC) grant money, space for meetings, and kiosk space to post flyers—have been stretched thin as a result of the increase.

Associate Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd said after the meeting that the rate at which the number of student groups grows “seems to be exponential” and that yesterday “was a good time to have a conversation” with the CCL, a student-faculty committee which approves student groups, about the issue.

The College has seen the addition of around 100 recognized student groups since 2003, committee members said.

The Office of Student Activities released a report in August 2004 finding that Harvard has more student groups per undergraduate than most private colleges.

Last year, a subcommittee was convened to address College recognition of student groups and the issue of student group proliferation.

But according to Associate Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd, the subcommittee found Harvard was “not out of line” with its peer institutions in this respect, so no changes were recommended.

Yesterday, members discussed potential reasons for the increase in the number of student groups in recent years.

One possible explanation raised at the meeting was that faculty members have been willing to sign up as advisers for a number of student groups with the assurance that doing so would not confer any responsibilities.

Ryan A. Petersen ’08, the chair of the UC’s Student Activities Committee (SAC) and a CCL member, said after the meeting that he did not see the rising number of student groups as a problem.

“Students should be able to do what their passions drive them to do,” Petersen said. “Extracurricular life is a really important part of life here at Harvard.”

Amadi P. Anene ’08, a SAC vice-chair, echoed Petersen’s sentiments.

“I don’t think there should be a limit on the number of student groups,” Anene said after the meeting.

“I definitely do think there’s going to be a trade-off,” he added. “There’s a space crunch on our campus, and the more groups you have, the more competition there will be among groups for resources and space.”

In addition to student groups, the CCL also discussed two position papers presented by the UC.

The first of these papers stated its support for the clustered space organization that would place student groups within close proximity of one another in Hilles. The report also supported a two-year space allocation of office space to allow for continuity.

The second paper called for a rigorous application process for student space in Yard basements and for the University to incorporate a conference room and a storage space in the renovation.

Kidd said the position papers came late in the planning process but would not be overlooked.

“They are well worth our consideration and they will be considered,” she said.

—Staff writer Matthew S. Lebowitz can be reached at mslebow@fas.harvard.edu.