New Pub To Get ‘Old School’ Look

By Doris A. Hernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

The College announced the final architect for the campus permanent pub yesterday, Miller Dyer Spears (MDS), which is recognized for innovative planning techniques.

The transformation of Loker Commons into the permanent pub is slated to begin in June.

MDS will replace architecture firm Offie Space dA, which ran the pub’s design feasibility study.

Zachary A Corker ’04, who was hired this year as project manager of Loker Commons planning and program development, said that he’s excited about working with the new architects.

“They are some cool cats. They really get it,” he said.

Corker said he was impressed with the vision the architects presented: one that will capture the spirit of a college “old school” pub.

He added that the firm has a history of working with smaller clients and will be willing to custom-design pub features in order to “make the place an authentic representation of Harvard.”

Though the pub was slated to open this coming September, Corker said that renovations will most likely continue through the fall semester.

The multi-million dollar project will be funded by University President Lawrence H. Summers’ renovation grant from last fall and from the Fund for Undergraduate Life from the Office of the Dean of the College, according to Corker.

Corker said he was confident that the recent resignations of Summers and Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby will not have a negative effect on pub plans.

“They have left a great legacy of support for undergraduates in general and support for the pub,” Corker said.

Corker’s position as project manager will terminate after the renovations are completed, and the College is planning to hire a permanent general manager for the pub, with experience in food service.

The future general manager will be hired in coming months so that he or she will come to campus before the pub is completed, according to Corker.

The general manager will oversee student employees, other staff, and programming structure.

Corker said he is excited about many of the upcoming pub features, including free meals for students who meet with their teachers or teaching fellows, a Thursday trivia night, and karaoke nights.

Corker also said he has made a deal with a local brewing company—which is owned by three Harvard alumni—to brew a Harvard specialty beer.

The name and flavor of the long-awaited Harvard beer will be announced at an unveiling event in May.

Although the name of the beer has already been chosen, a professional graphic designer is working with four student members of the Permanent Pub Task Force to decide on a logo.

“While I am not yet able to reveal the formula or name of the beer, what I can tell you is that it is most delicious,” Corker said.

The Task Force has also held two “pub grub tasting” events featuring fried finger food to solicit student input on the future pub menu. Two more tasting events are planned, featuring desserts and beer. The Task Force will hold a lottery to choose the students that will sample the cheesecake, apple pie, brownies, and beer.

Corker said that the pub hopes to encourage school spirit—donning House banners on the walls and offering half-price appetizers for those who show their ticket stubs to sports events.

Corker also said the pub staff has discussed honoring students’ 21st birthdays by offering free appetizers and a drink-recipe book.

Though the pub will check IDs at the bar, the pub will be open to all ages. “Even though you can’t drink if you’re underage you can still have fun and be part of the social scene.”

Corker added that food and drinks at the pub will be reasonable: “A pub on a college budget.”

—Staff writer Doris A. Hernandez can be reached at dahernan@fas.harvard.edu.