Phi Beta Kappa Honors Juniors

Honor Society elects 24 juniors to its Harvard chapter

By Ying Wang, Crimson Staff Writer

Twenty-four juniors were elected for induction into the Harvard chapter of Phi Beta Kappa—the nation’s oldest honor society—based on academic achievements, the College announced yesterday.

The students, who were selected during Phi Beta Kappa elections late last month, are culled from over ten different concentrations. Thirteen students in the social sciences were awarded the honor, along with six in the natural sciences, and five in the humanities.

Secretary for the Harvard chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, James F. Coakley ’68, said that these figures are largely representative of the proportions of students in each of the respective fields.

“I think that this is sort of the frosting on the cake,” said Craig R. Sincock II ’07, an economics concentrator. “For this stage of my life, this is something that I’m really proud that I was able to achieve.”

A month ago, the 48 juniors with the highest GPAs in their class received notices announcing their eligibility for acceptance into Phi Beta Kappa.

The selection process in each field is based on the candidates’ performance in their concentration, breadth of coursework, and two letters of recommendation from faculty, according to Coakley. Three to five faculty members as well as current Phi Beta Kappa students attended the elections, where eventually half of the eligible candidates being considered are chosen for inclusion, he added,

History concentrator Alexandra D. Harwin ’07 said that she was thrilled but had not come to college with explicit aspirations to be a part of the honor society.

“What I hope to do is really enjoy and do my coursework,” she said. “My hope is when I come out of Harvard to have challenged myself and have learned as much as I could...and that’s what you come out feeling good about.”

Every school year, Phi Beta Kappa holds three rounds of elections—one in the spring of junior year and two during senior year—to select students for admittance to the 230-year-old nationwide honor society.

Ninety-five seniors will be selected during next month’s final round of elections for the class of 2006. Those elected will join the previously selected 72 to make up the top 10 percent of the senior class, Coakley said.

Chemistry concentrator Alexander O. Subtelny ’07 said that receiving the honor was a sign that other academics had confidence in his accomplishments and that it was a “validation of the fact that I worked hard for the last three years.”

Coakley called the junior 24 an “incredible lot” with “frightening” GPAs.

“It seems like now if you haven’t already published a novel or won a Nobel prize, you’re at a disadvantage,” Coakley said.

—Staff writer Ying Wang can be reached at yingwang@fas.harvard.edu

The following students of the class of 2007 were elected into Phi Beta Kappa last month:

Joshua H. Billings, Classics; Jarred D. Brown, Engineering Sciences; Steven J. F. Byrnes, Physics; Thomas M. Clay, Classics; Merve G. Emre, Government; Nicholas R. Green, Economics; Rachel M. Greenblatt, Biology; David S. Jackson-Hanen, Mathematics; Alexandra D. Harwin, History; Daniel J. Hemel, Social Studies, who is the managing editor of The Crimson; Hajin Kim, Economics; Daniel P. Krauthammer, Social Studies; Yuenbee J. Park, Economics; Guilio J. Pertile, English; Shayak Sarkar, Applied Mathematics; Kaloyan S. Slavov, Mathematics; Craig R. Sincock II, Economics; Steven A. Strott, History and Literature; Alexander O. Subtelny, Chemistry; Parvinder S. Thiara, Chemistry; Derek A. Vance, Economics; Emily K. Vasiliauskas, Literature; Stephen A. Wertheim, History; and Shane K. Wilson, Social Studies.