AACF event attendees enjoy Asian delicacies.

Are You There, God? It’s Me, the Asian American Christian Fellowship.

N*Sync, dumplings, and God: just three highlights of a Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship (AACF) event Friday in Ticknor Lounge.
By Alwa A. Cooper

N*Sync, dumplings, and God: just three highlights of a Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship (AACF) event Friday in Ticknor Lounge. The pious party, dubbed “I’m So Sick of Love Songs: A Christian Perspective on Loneliness,” featured dinner, heartfelt testimonials, and copious Backstreet Boys references, suggesting that knowing all the lyrics to “Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely” really does bring you closer to God.

AACF kicked off the program’s “preaching to the choir” section with a performance from PBJ—Praise Band for Jesus, of course—and John K. Lin ’08’s testimonial of Christianity and loneliness at Harvard, during which he blamed God for sending him to Harvard instead of Stanford.

“I was like, ‘God, why can’t I have, like, just two more years in the sun?’” Lin said.

Guest speaker Jimmy Quach ’98 led off his speech by explaining just how the Neo song “So Sick of Love Songs” applies to Christianity.

“It’s an anthem for that loneliness we all feel,” he said. “I mean, we’re all angsty.”

After a passionate defense of the power of God, supported by an N*Sync sing-along, the metaphorical train jumped its tracks to bring the point home. Quach, on God as compared to West Coast fast food chain In ‘N’ Out’s “Animal Style” burger: “[God] is my burger to end all burgers. I just want you guys to taste it.”

Yeah.