NJIT Offense Overpowers Crimson in Season Finale

On Senior Day, Harvard loses by a 3-0 tally to NJIT for third time this season

Harvard fell 3-0 to NJIT in senior John Freese’s final match—in which he registered five kills and just one error on eight swings.
By Karan Lodha, Crimson Staff Writer

And it was all over—a disappointing end to a disappointing season.

Facing league foe New Jersey Tech (NJIT) on Senior Day, the Harvard men’s volleyball team failed to contain the Highlanders’ potent offense, losing 3-0 (30-21, 30-24, 30-22) Saturday afternoon at the Malkin Athletic Center.

After capturing the Sweeney Division title last year, the Crimson came into 2006 favored to win the newly transformed Hay Division. But an injury-plagued start and a poor finish put Harvard out of contention.

Nothing characterized the Crimson’s fall from grace more than its performance against NJIT this season.

Saturday’s sweep was the Highlanders’ third 3-0 victory over Harvard this season.

“NJIT is a good team,” co-captain John Freese said. “They’ve improved a lot from last year, and they’ve improved throughout the year. These guys have been in our divisions in all four years I’ve been here, and it’s not fun to lose to them.”

Playing in their final match for Harvard, Freese and fellow co-captain Seamus McKiernan performed well. Freese tallied five kills on .500 hitting while McKiernan led the team with 15 kills and five blocks.

But the story of the night was the play of two NJIT sophomores. Leonardo Paludo and Eduardo Welter—both hailing from Escola Barao de Rio Branco in Balneario Camboriu, Brazil—combined for 29 kills, 17 digs, and 7 aces to power the Highlanders past the Crimson.

“Those two kids are quality,” Harvard coach Chris Ridolfi said. “They played with confidence, and we played like we were trying to come from behind. That mindset is difficult to overcome.”

In the first frame—the Crimson’s best game offensively—Harvard stayed with NJIT early, matching the Highlanders kill for kill.

But after a kill by sophomore Jordan Weitzen pulled the Crimson within one at 16-15, NJIT, powered by three aces by Paludo, went on an 8-0 run that set the Highlanders up for an easy 30-21 victory.

Harvard made some adjustments in the second frame, adjusting its block and feeding McKiernan more often. The senior accounted for seven and a half points—including the Crimson’s first three of the game—and helped limit NJIT at the net.

But after a McKiernan kill cut the Highlanders’ lead to three, NJIT took 8 of the next 12 points to move ahead 21-14, holding Harvard to no kills and just two blocks in that period.

The Crimson would get no closer than four as the Highlanders won 30-24 and took a 2-0 match lead.

“We didn’t pass the ball,” Ridolfi said. “They served the ball aggressively, and we didn’t play well enough to get it done.”

In game three, Harvard limited Paludo and Welter early and took several one-point leads.

But the two Brazilian sophomores recovered and powered NJIT back ahead. Aided by a series of Crimson service errors, the Highlanders coasted to 30-22 victory and completed the sweep.

And with that, the Harvard careers of Freese, McKiernan, and senior outside hitter Luke McCrone came to an end.

“It’s a big hit to the program—they’re good leaders, they’re good players, they’re good kids,” Ridolfi said. “But they have left the foundations for success in the years to come.”

—Staff writer Karan Lodha can be reached at klodha@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball