SPORTS BRIEF: Harvard has rough time in Florida in warmup for Ivy League play

By The Crimson Staff

Before the Harvard baseball team could begin Ivy League play, it traveled to Florida for the earlier part of its spring break, playing eight grueling games over six days.

The Crimson went 1-2 against Jacksonville, edged Lynn, played Barry University to a tie, and then suffered two drubbings against Florida Atlantic (losing 11-1) and Florida International (10-1) before beating St. Thomas 8-5.

HARVARD 8, ST. THOMAS 5

It wasn’t the Harvard baseball you’ll see in April, but it got the job done.

In a game which showcased some new faces in new places, head coach Joe Walsh called on seven different pitchers and started senior pitcher Matt Brunnig in left field in an 8-5 win.

The Crimson notched eight runs on eight hits, chasing Bobcats starter Hector Nelo after four frames with the aid of some untimely St. Thomas errors. Captain shortstop Morgan Brown paced Harvard with a 2-5 effort, driving in four.

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL 10, HARVARD 1

A day after the Crimson gave up 11 runs to Florida Atlantic, it was only able to do one better against Florida International.

Sophomore Taylor Meehan struggled, surrendering six runs—four earned—on seven hits and three walks in four frames, and sophomore left fielder Tom Stack-Babich roped a run-scoring double in the eighth for Harvard’s lone offense on the day.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC 11, HARVARD 1

Florida Atlantic didn’t need much help, but the Crimson gave it to them anyway.

At the end of the day, five Harvard errors translated into eight unearned runs as the Owls battered senior starter Javy Castellanos and freshman Hampton Foushee for 16 hits. Castellanos, though, actually allowed only three earned to go along with six strikeouts, and in the end, Foushee’s ERA remained unscathed.

HARVARD 6, BARRY 6

A curfew ultimately made Harvard’s 2006 won-loss record a bit more interesting.

The Crimson played Barry to a tie before the game was called in the 11th, the 35th such result in Harvard history.

The Buccaneers scored the equalizing run in the eighth off junior Jake Bruton, who had come in to relieve freshman starter Ryan Watson for 4 2/3 frames. From there, David Bernat held the Crimson to one hit over 4 2/3 scoreless innings, fanning eight.

HARVARD 11, LYNN 9

The Crimson scored three in the eighth to earn its second straight victory in come-from-behind fashion.

Junior Brendan Byrne got the rally going with a one out double, which was followed by a walk from Meehan. A triple from sophomore Matt Vance scored both runners to tie the game, and captain Morgan Brown’s squeeze bunt brought home Vance with the go-ahead run.

HARVARD 7, JACKSONVILLE 5

The Crimson exacted a measure of revenge in salvaging the final game of the series, cooling the Dolphins’ bats to improve to 2-7 on the season.

Senior switch handed pitcher Matt Brunnig, throwing from the side, threw seven innings of three-run ball, allowing only one walk while striking out three.

JACKSONVILLE 16, HARVARD 3

The Dolphins pounded the Crimson for a second straight game, touching ace sophomore Shawn Haviland for his second loss of the season.

Like Cole the game before, Haviland was able to retire just four Jacksonville batters before departing. Three runs in the first and two in the second stacked the Dolphins to an early 5-0 lead.

JACKSONVILLE 14, HARVARD 3

In the first of a three-game series, the Dolphins flexed their offensive muscle early on to rout the Crimson.

Jacksonville knocked rookie hurler Adam Cole out of the game before he could record the second out of the second inning.

After scoring once in the first, the Dolphins struck on a Mike McCallister home run to left field leading off the second, and a Logan James RBI double four batters later chased Cole. Senior Mike Dukovich came on in relief and got the first batter he faced out, but the next seven Jacksonville hitters reached, leading to eight runs and the end of Harvard’s hopes.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Baseball