SPORTS BRIEF: The women’s water polo team returns from California with two wins

By The Crimson Staff

It was ultimately a disappointing spring break for the Harvard women’s water polo team. On the road in California for the duration of the week, the Crimson started things off with a promising victory over La Verne. The team then ran into trouble, dropping three straight games to Pomona, UC Davis and the University of Redlands. After regaining its footing with a win over California Baptist, Harvard suffered an April Fool’s Day loss to Maryland in the first round of the ECAC Championships.

MARYLAND 5, HARVARD 3

The Crimson watched its lead slip away as host Maryland came back from a 3-2 deficit to deliver a fourth-quarter comeback victory.

The Terrapins came alive in the game’s final quarter, tying the score at three and then surging ahead, handing the Crimson a demoralizing loss.

HARVARD 7, CALIFORNIA BAPTIST 5

Harvard ended its tour though California on a high note, bouncing back from three consecutive losses to California Baptist on March 28 in Riverside, Calif.

REDLANDS 7, HARVARD 6

In its second straight loss in Redlands, Calif., Harvard dropped a close one to the University of Redlands on March 28. The two teams traded goals for the first three quarters, with neither team able to build a substantial lead, before Redlands finished off the Crimson.

UC DAVIS 7, HARVARD 1

Senior Lydia Gardner contributed 11 saves, but it was not enough to stop the overpowering UC Davis offense on March 28 in Redlands. The Aggies peppered Gardner with shots throughout the contest, applying steady offensive pressure that proved too much for Harvard to handle.

POMONA 8, HARVARD 5

In the first of three consecutive defeats, the Crimson lost to Pomona on March 26 in Pomona, Calif.

HARVARD 7, LA VERNE 5

Harvard began its spring break in style, cruising to an easy victory over La Verne in La Verne, Calif. on Mar. 26.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Women's Water Polo