What's Fare Is Fair?

Licensing Commission Hikes Taxi Fees; Flat Rate to Logan Airport from the Square Rises by $4.25

By Tom D. Hadfield, Contributing Writer

Students who opted for cabs back to the Square from the airport this weekend may have noticed an extra $4.25 charge for the ride.

The new fares, which came into effect last Monday, will be $4.75 for the first mile and $3.20 for each additional mile, up from $4.20 for the first mile and $2.80 for each additional mile.

The Cambridge License Commission’s flat rate from Harvard Square hotels to Logan International Airport has increased from $33 to $37.25.

Elizabeth Lint, executive officer of the Cambridge License Commission, said the fare increase will help cab drivers meet rising costs. Lint attributed the fare hike to “higher costs of living, insurance, motor vehicle repairs, and not to mention gas prices.”

Tania L. Stewart ’06 has taken taxis to Logan Airport in the past, but prefers to take the T because “it’s easy and cost effective.”

“With prices as high as they are, I don’t understand why anyone would still take a taxi to the airport when you can take the Silver Line for $1.25,” she said.

A taxi driver in the Square said yesterday that the fare increase hasn’t had any impact on passenger numbers.

“I haven’t had any complaints, even though Cambridge taxi fares are amongst the highest in Massachusetts,” says Mohammed Yahnei, a driver who regularly picks up passengers outside Au Bon Pain at the Holyoke Center.

James Cassidy, the director of the Weights and Measurements Department for the City of Cambridge, says it may take until next week for all cabs to start charging the new rate.

It will cost approximately $10,000 to recalibrate the 255 taxis licensed by the city to reflect the higher fares, Cassidy said.