Lacrosse Stifled By Terriers Defense

By Vincent R. Oletu, Crimson Staff Writer

Amid near freezing temperatures and soggy conditions, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team faced off just as much against the weather as against No. 15 Boston University yesterday at Jordan Field.

At the end of the showdown, however, it was the strong defense of the Terriers, with the Crimson losing 11-8.

“We can’t commit to playing for the full sixty minutes of the game,” sophomore Caroline Simmons said.

Harvard (3-6, 1-0 Ivy) would not score a single goal in 37:39. After scoring seven of its eight points in the first half, the Crimson would not be able to tally another score until the final 47 seconds of the second frame.

Despite the less-than-favorable conditions, the first period consisted of high energy play from both teams. Sophomore Natalie Curtis, the leading scorer for Harvard, made the first goal in a little over a minute into the game. Simmons provided the assist.

As Simmons passed the ball, Curtis used an open lane and sliced in front of the goal. Seizing the opportunity, Curtis fired the ball past BU goaltender Jenna Golden to score the first tally of the game.

However, Boston University (7-3, 1-1 America East) would not allow the early goal to phase its game. The Terriers soon took control of the contest, with three different players scoring in less than two and a half minutes. The offensive spurt provided four goals quick goals and gave BU a 4-1 lead in the first half.

Following a timeout to regroup, Curtis and freshman Kaitlin Martin cut the Terrier lead to one point with one goal apiece.

Martin, who led the team with three goals scored, would go on to play a crucial part in the Crimson comeback.

After another BU goal, Martin slipped a goal pass Golden to tie the score at five all.

Martin also provided an assist to junior Margaret Yellott 17:41 into the first half. Perched about fifteen yards out from the goal, Martin threw a quick inlet pass to Yellott. Using a swift spin move, she shook her defender and left an easy shot on goal.

In the next possession, Martin took a chance at the goal. Situated on the right side of the goal, she angled the ball over the left shoulder of Golden to tie the game at five all.

At 21:34, the Crimson managed to regain the lead it had earlier. The advantage was short-lived, however, as BU added two more to the scoreboard to end the first period, 8-7.

The second half belonged to the Terriers—a 3-0 run combined with Harvard’s offensive stagnation sealed the game.

Yesterday’s defeat marks the third straight loss at home for the Crimson, but Harvard will try for better results in its game against Penn on Sunday.

Women's Lacrosse