Popscreen: Black Eyed Peas

By Patrick R. Chesnut, Crimson Staff Writer

Black Eyed Peas

“Pump It”

Dir. Francis Lawrence

There’s something off about the Black Eyed Peas’ “Pump It”—something that makes it feel more like a car commercial than a music video. Maybe it’s the unnervingly smooth and artificial cinematography. Maybe it’s the compulsive editing. Maybe it’s the way the song samples Dick Dale’s “Misirlou”—the “Pulp Fiction” theme—which just happened to appear in a Nissan Maxima commercial.

Of course, it could also be the way Honda Civics are both conspicuously displayed and centrally framed. Coincidentally, both the Civic Hybrid website and the Black Eyed Peas’ website prominently advertise the Peas’ current tour—which is sponsored by the Honda Civic. (Why bother advertising a car and a CD separately when MTV lets you do both free of charge?)

The Peas’ decision to drop any claim to high artistry—and instead to act as little more than a commercial entity—would be disappointing enough on its own. But somehow, the video manages to bastardize just about everything in it. As their Civics look on, a strangely choreographed fight breaks out between the Peas and a rival gang; but—and I never thought I’d say this—the breakdance fight fails to amuse. As does the computerized bowling ball that systematically bounces through another gang in a “Fight Club”-esque garage. The video even falls flat when Fergie brushes back two members of another gang with her, erm, lady lumps.

Perhaps that has something to do with the frenetic editing, which never allows you to focus on the interesting moments. After all, there is a reason that these commercials are usually only 30 seconds: much longer—in this case four minutes—and you wind up with nothing but a headache.

The Peas would be best served if they stopped advertising cars and reverted to advertising Fergie. At the very least, being sold sex is a whole lot more compelling—and entertaining—than being sold a Civic.

—Patrick R. Chesnut