Popscreen: Pussycat Dolls

By Marie C. Kodama, Contributing Writer

Pussycat Dolls

“Beep”

Dir. Benny Boom

The Pussycat Dolls’ M.O. for “Beep” is similar to that for their debut single “Don’t Cha”; a rapper—then Busta Rhymes, now Will.I.Am—acting as a sidekick to the lead (read: only) singer Nicole, while the other five Dolls decorate the space behind her with booty-shaking, body rolls, and yet more booty-shaking.

The video gradually works its way towards the hot dance scenes, first showing the five peripheral Dolls lounging on couches, playing with a puppy, and limbering up for the ensuing dance-fest. As soon as Nicole enters the room, the girls take it as a signal to start doing their job: performing seductive little dance shows. Towards the end, however, two other Dolls get their moment in the spotlight, and are even allowed to sing a few bars.

While the designated lead singer takes up the majority of screen time for the video, the five backups do manage some brief clips to insinuate what the titular “beep” could mean. Despite a questionable membership with clear undertones of Destiny’s Child-like feuding and eventual fracturing, the Dolls are pretty hot so I can’t really complain. And they can really dance to boot.

—Marie C. Kodama