'A Leader in Every Sense of the Word'

Erica A. Scott ’06 was a close friend of Clarence D. “Duane” Meat ’05-’07, who was fatally shot in Minneapolis last Wednesday. Scott is a former president of Native Americans at Harvard College (NAHC).

I first met Duane during Freshman Week four years ago. He had kindly e-mailed a welcome and invitation to lunch to the incoming Indian freshmen, and I was excited to meet the president of Native Americans at Harvard College.

At one point in our conversation, Duane pointed out a student wearing an Atlanta Braves shirt, prominently featuring a controversial Indian mascot. I personally do not support these mascots, feeling they stereotype and harm real, living Indian people. I had even written a speech on this issue for high school forensics tournaments. None of this, however, prepared me for what Duane did next.

Duane approached the student and explained his opposition to the shirt with such confidence and civility that in a few short minutes, the student apologized to Duane and promised to not wear the shirt again. To this day, I have yet to see anyone in a similar position—offended by the actions, clothing, or words of another—address a potentially confrontational situation so effectively, so gracefully, and so convincingly, as Duane did four years ago.

Duane truly was a leader, in every sense of the word. Duane supported each member of our Indian community, especially acting as a mentor and personal friend to freshmen. Duane knew that there were so few Indian students at Harvard. Rather than bemoan this fact, he sought to change it. He was active in minority affairs on campus, serving as the Harvard Foundation’s Student Advisory Council co-chair in 2002 and 2003. Duane explained that he served in this capacity specifically because there were so few Indians at Harvard during his SAC tenure. Since small numbers could potentially hamper the Indian voice on campus, Duane assumed an extremely active and high-profile position in order to ensure that voice would be represented.

Duane was one of the most intelligent people I knew. In his short time on Earth, he not only achieved many impressive accomplishments, but he also dared to dream of a better future for his tribe, the Leech Lake Ojibwe, and for all American Indians. Duane aspired to be a leader because he possessed the skills, the dedication, and the knowledge to do so. Duane tirelessly threw himself into any project, encouraging himself and others to not give up; this is why he visited Harvard a few weeks ago, arranging his return to Harvard in the fall semester to complete his coursework. My roommates and I were extremely fortunate to host Duane during his visit, and we are grateful for that time we spent with him during the thesis home stretch.

Although Duane’s own personal academic endeavor has been cut short, the impact he had on the lives of Indian and other students at Harvard remains. Duane lived life as an extremely confident person, and his mannerisms will live on in our memories. His characteristic chuckle, his emphatic tone of voice during debates on Indian issues, his dedication to things that mattered to him, his goodwill and love for friends and family—all of these characteristics will stay with each person he met and touched at Harvard.