Divorce Should Not Be Considered A Sin

By Evie Spanos, Contributing Writer

To the editors:

Re: “Compassionate Judgment,” Loui Itoh, column, May 3:

In arguing that Christians should be less judgmental of homosexuality, Itoh claims that the argument that homosexuality is a sin is not a justification for judgment because “so is divorce,” and divorce is much more prevalent.

Though I recognize that the focus of the article is neither of these issues, I disagree with the characterization of divorce (and homosexuality, for that matter) as sinful. Divorce should not be viewed as a transgression against a moral code. Even if your desire is to protect the sanctity of marriage, a bad marriage is a much greater threat to that concept than divorce is. Though unfortunate and trying, divorce can lead to better life outcomes both for divorcees and for their children. Moreover, the characterization of divorce as a sin implies a voluntary failure to resolve problems and ignores the reality that some people who get married cannot resolve their problems despite efforts to do so. Divorce should no more be condemned as sinful than a bad marriage should be praised as virtuous.

EVIE SPANOS ’06

May 3, 2006