Harvard’s Lack Of Planning At Commencent Dismaying

By Lisa Rosenblum

To the editors:

Re “Sunny Reception on Rainy Day for Summers’ Farewell,” news wep update, June 9:

I am a parent of a graduated senior and would like to express my disappointment at some aspects of the graduation ceremony. Although I know the weather is out of the control of Harvard, its accommodations (or lack thereof) were so awful that both my elderly mother and mother-in-law were prevented from attending many of the functions.

First, why no tents? Even I knew a week earlier there was going to be rain. When commenting to a Harvard police officer he simply said, “They just don’t do this.” In an east coast city this is not acceptable. Is there not a large gym or facility that could have been used to accommodate those wishing to view the ceremony but remain dry?

Next, the bathroom facilities were atrocious. The elderly and women suffered significantly. People had to climb many stairs to wait on long lines for minimum facilities.

I am very, very disappointed about this lack of forethought. It seems that much thought is spent on following the traditional ceremony, but very little on practical planning.

LISA ROSENBLUM

June 11, 2006