Get the Facts: Harvard and its Service Employees

By Mary ann O’brien

Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) workers are covered by a five-year collective bargaining agreement that expires on June 19. Harvard is strongly committed to the collective bargaining process now underway with their union representatives, and more generally to fostering a strong, mutually respectful relationship with each of the seven unions representing 6,700 of Harvard’s 18,000 employees. There are approximately 470 members of the Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union (HERE)/Local 26 at Harvard working in residential dining halls and campus restaurants, as well as in the Faculty Club.

Our goal in the current negotiations is to reach agreement on a new contract that continues to provide HUDS employees with fair, competitive wages and comprehensive, high-quality health, welfare, and dental benefits. These benefits are provided to service employees working as few as 16 hours per week.

Harvard also offers free or greatly subsidized educational opportunities that allow service employees to improve the quality of their lives and their long-term economic and job prospects. Specifically, Harvard’s Bridge to Learning and Literacy provides English language literacy, computer, GED, and citizenship preparation classes to over 500 service employees each semester. In addition to the dedicated professional staff at Bridge, over 70 members of the Harvard community—including many undergraduates—serve as volunteer tutors.

Full-time HUDS workers earn, on average, more than $31,000 a year plus benefits valued at approximately $13,000. The average hourly wage for campus members of HERE increased 20 percent between September 2000 and September 2005, including a 4.3 percent hike last year. Their median hourly wage increased 17.7 percent during the same period.

Harvard pays higher wages to members of HERE than their unionized colleagues and non-union peers receive at virtually all other academic and private employers in the area, including the M.I.T. and hotels in greater Boston.

One result is that the turnover rate among HUDS employees has declined by 25 percent in recent years. More than 50 percent have been with the University for at least six years.

Common Misconceptions

Some advocate an agreement that is comparable to the one reached between Harvard and the union representing our custodial workers last fall. It’s important to understand that the Service Employees International Union (SEIU)contract was designed as a long-term agreement that will bring the hourly wages paid to Harvard custodians back in line with the custodial wages paid by other universities in the Boston area. The same wage gap does not apply to the case of HUDS employees.

Another issue raised was the academic year schedule of the University’s dining services operation. As most people know, this schedule reflects the needs of their main customers, Harvard’s students. When Harvard is not in session, approximately 20 percent of HUDS employees remain employed there. However, managers have been successful at placing many additional HUDS workers in temporary paid positions in other University departments. Those who are furloughed typically obtain seasonal employment outside of Harvard while retaining their Harvard health and dental benefits.

As for worker safety, HUDS has a consistent and exemplary record of compliance with all codes for food service safety and sanitation. Harvard’s Office of Environmental Health and Safety acts as the independent, third party auditor of the working conditions within campus dining facilities. Each HUDS facility is inspected and audited a minimum of twice a year by that office and at least twice a year by the local board of health. When occasional issues arise, they are addressed immediately and cleared through a re-inspection process. Among many other safety measures, HUDS employees working in the kitchen have ready access to two different kinds of heavy-duty vinyl gloves (cotton lined and unlined) that are designed to protect them when working with high temperature machines.

The Need for Balance

As a tax-exempt, non-profit institution, Harvard has a responsibility to manage its financial resources prudently. Our tuition-paying students and their families, our donors and research sponsors, and our host communities expect the University to act responsibly with regard to its finances and commitments.

From year to year, the University must balance its budget. Any agreements made with our unionized workers have financial implications for all of our operating units and for all of our employees, since we must take equity across employee groups into consideration. We approach wage negotiations with our unions in good faith, but mindful of internal equity with our other employees and continuing budget pressures created by dramatic cost increases for items such as energy and healthcare.

The University is proud of the constructive and respectful relationship it has forged with members of Local 26 over the years. We value all of our service employees and the daily contributions they make to the University’s operational and academic excellence. We consider these employees to be the backbone of the University and absolutely essential to our core mission.

Mary Ann O’Brien is the communications director for the University’s Office of Human Resources. For more information, visit www.serviceemployees.harvard.edu.