Ranked Foes Lead to Set of Losses for Women's Soccer

By Emily W. Cunningham and Walter E. Howell, Crimson Staff Writerss

An 0-4 start to any team’s season never sounds good. But with a young team playing three nationally ranked opponents, the Harvard women’s soccer team’s year-opening losing streak is understandable.

Despite the losses, the new team and new coach understand the key to the future: learning from the tough start.

“We’re only three weeks into our season right now,” said Crimson coach Erica Walsh, “But with every game we have seen our performance improve.”

BOSTON COLLEGE 3, HARVARD 2

On Saturday afternoon, Harvard’s effort on offense finally showed on the field, but still not in its record. Despite racking up its first two goals of the season, the Crimson (0-4-0, 0-0-0 Ivy) remained winless following a 3-2 loss to Boston College (BC) (4-1-0) at Ohiri Field.

Several of Harvard’s eleven freshmen played big roles in moving a stagnant offense, with Christina Hagner contributing a goal and an assist and Lizzy Nichols chipping in two assists.

The Crimson jumped on top early, with Hagner scoring just fifteen minutes after the opening whistle. The Eagles came right back to score two and take the lead at halftime before adding another just after the break.

Harvard made a last-chance surge in the final minutes of play, and sophomore Erin Wylie took a through-ball from Hagner to narrow BC’s lead in the 85th minute.

“We finally put two in today, which felt good,” Wylie said. “This year, even with a really young team, we’re getting more chances on goal and we hope that’ll transfer into more goals later in the season.”

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE 1, HARVARD 0

After facing two top twenty teams, the challenges weren’t over for the Crimson. Harvard faced another tough team in Central Connecticut State (2-3-0) and again failed to put the ball in the net, losing 1-0 in its home opener at Ohiri Field last Thursday.

The Crimson had its chances, controlling the ball for most of the game.

“We need to play more together, practice more together, learn how the others play,” Odorcyzk said. “Once we do that, I’m sure we’ll be scoring goals and clicking more.”

While the offense couldn’t capitalize on its many chances, the young defense kept Harvard in the game, allowing only a first-half goal from CCSU freshman Brittany Emin. In the eighteenth minute, senior Jessica McCavanagh made a nice cross inside the Harvard eighteen into a tangle of Crimson defensemen and Blue Devil forwards. Emin emerged from the scrum and poked the ball past Mann into the left corner.

No. 17 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA 2, HARVARD 0

The Crimson came into the Notre Dame Classic hoping for results against at least one of the nationally ranked teams it faced.

The squad came away empty-handed, however, losing its second and final tilt of last weekend’s tournament to No. 17 Southern California (3-1-1) by 2-0 on Sunday.

One positive on the weekend for the Crimson was the defensive line’s tremendous play, especially against the Trojans. Led by Odorczyk and All-Tournament Team member Nichols, the team played solid defense to support freshman keeper Lauren Mann. However, two defensive lapses in the 16th and 39th minutes resulted in the team’s 2-0 defeat. The Southern California offensive effort, which led to 12 shots, proved too much for Harvard.

The Crimson remained upbeat in the face of the defeats, however.

“I think the [tough schedule] is a positive for us,” said Odorczyk. “When we face Ivy league teams, and ask if this team or this player is better than what we’ve faced—the answer will be no.”

No. 1 SANTA CLARA 3, HARVARD 0

Starting out the season against the number-one ranked team in the nation is difficult for even the most experienced squads.

For Harvard, which holds a 4:1 freshman to senior ratio in its starting lineup, a victory over then No. 1 Santa Clara (4-1-0) at the Notre Dame Classic last Saturday was out of reach.

“We’re still a very young team and a very inexperienced team at this point,” said senior co-captain Laura Odorczyk.

The Crimson, however, fought hard over the first twenty minutes. Despite an early goal notched by Broncos leading scorer Megan Snell in the 10th minute, Harvard nearly captured the equalizer just minutes later when junior Megan Merritt’s header hit off the crossbar.

Nichols, just one of the stellar freshmen starting for the squad, was most impressive for Harvard on the weekend, playing tough defense coupled with stellar set-ups on the offensive front to earn Notre Dame Classic All-Tournament honors.

“We have a lot of freshmen starters and they’re doing a great job to step up for us,” said Odorczyk. “They’re frustrated with the losses, but we’re going to go forward after this experience.”

After being inches away from tying the now No. 4 Broncos, Harvard went downhill from there. In the 20th minute, Santa Clara went up 2-0 on a Brittany Klein goal and never looked back.

—Staff writer Emily W. Cunningham can be reached at ecunning@fas.harvard.edu.
—Staff writer Walter E. Howell can be reached at wehowell@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer