Chemistry and Physics

Lock Yourself in a Room

Chemistry and Physics is the ideal concentration for the indecisive science-types. Everything counts: chemistry, physics, math, computer science, engineering, and even many biology classes. With so many options open to them, concentrators typically bounce between Chemistry, Physics, and Chemistry and Physics as late as junior year, trying to figure out which one they’re actually closest to finishing. Most concentrators also frequently change their minds as to whether or not they are pre-med—or more precisely—whether or not they will actually take the MCAT.

Despite these advantages, Chemistry and Physics is not ideal for at least two types of people: pre-meds who want to be told exactly what to do (see Biochemical Sciences) and pre-meds who hate science (see Biological Anthropology). Read on only if neither of those applies to you.

Chemistry and Physics advising is very typical of Harvard: each student is assigned half a dozen advisors in the hope that one of them will actually be helpful. Officially, David Morin and Howard Georgi, both physicists, advise all concentrators. Each student is also assigned an individual advisor from the Physics department.

Notice a theme here? The concentration has been more or less commandeered by the Physics department. (Further evidence: the only classes that absolutely cannot be taken Pass/Fail are the introductory physics classes. However, any chemistry class is OK.)

Morin and Georgi teach Physics 15a, “Introductory Mechanics and Relativity,” and Physics 16, “Mechanics and Special Relativity,” because they like to meet the new concentrators before they take Physics 15b, “Introductory Electromagnetism,” and drop out. Georgi, from all appearances, is the model professor: he is master of Leverett, hosts regular socials with his famous gooey cinnamon “monkeybread,” and stays in Leverett dining hall until 1 or 2 a.m. the night before problem sets are due to answer questions. He boosts attendance at these “physics nights” by making the problem sets impossible to complete alone. Georgi is, after all, a fan of challenges. He has been known to sign study cards permitting students to take everything from Physics 15b to Physics 210, “General Relativity” without their having taken the prerequisites. (Nota bene: this is an awful idea. Rather than figure that out for yourself three months into the term, by which time you’re boasting a set of double-D’s, listen to us now.)

Dr. Gregg Tucci acts as an unofficial advisor from the Chemistry department and moderates the sophomore tutorial, which is a series of low-key research presentations. The tutorial is not only a fantastic (and optional) way to get involved with a research group, but lacks the hellish qualities of the Economics, Government, and other sophomore tutorials known primarily for their mountains of “interesting” readings and 30-page papers. Here, the obligatory torture of new concentrators is left entirely to the introductory physics and organic chemistry classes. (Consider using the aforementioned Pass/Fail option for the latter.)

The road is tough, but sticking it out is worthwhile: Chemistry and Physics is perhaps the most flexible science concentration, and its concentrators benefit from all the perks (monkeybread!) of both departments. Besides, most of the rest of the world does not know that Chemistry and Physics is a single concentration­—and it can’t hurt if you’re potential employers think you managed an impressive double major.