SPORTS BRIEF: Toci Dismissed by Murphy

By Malcom A. Glenn and The Crimson Staff

Senior wide receiver Keegan Toci was the latest member of the Harvard football team to be dismissed, Coach Tim Murphy told The Crimson ten days ago.

Yesterday, the Boston Globe reported the details of the dismissal, including a lewd senior skit night and a controversial speech in front of players and coaches by Toci.

“He was dismissed from the team,” Murphy told The Crimson on Sept. 13. “It’s a team matter, and that’s all I can say about that.”

Toci’s dismissal was the most recent in a string of similar punishments handed down by the Harvard head coach. In late April, Murphy suspended seniors Dan Lane and James Velissaris for the team’s opening game against Holy Cross after the two were involved in an off-the-field altercation with a shuttle driver. In June, Murphy dismissed then-captain Matt Thomas, who faces charges of assault and battery against an ex-girlfriend.

In August, Murphy suspended starting quarterback Liam O’Hagan for the team’s first five games for a violation of undisclosed team rules.

Toci, a native of Tucson, Ariz., saw action in just one game last season: the Crimson’s 24-17 win over Lafayette.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Football