THE GASTRONOMER

By Carolyn A. Sheehan, Crimson Staff Writer

Zoe’s Kitchen, located at 1105 Mass. Ave, is a gem yet to be discovered by most students. Outfitted with vinyl booths and fifties’ décor, this seemingly all-American diner offers a Greek twist to its cuisine. Zoe’s provides something for everyone, and the casual, friendly environment won’t break your bank either.

The extensive six-page menu offers a variety of options, including breakfast all day. Although the portions are quite filling, you shouldn’t miss dessert. Try any one of the cakes and pies, and you will wonder why you have been going to pricey Finale for so long. Here are my suggestions to match your food personality.

The Comfort-Food Craver: With freshman week a distant memory, you have now realized that the party you thought college would be is over. With early morning studying still ahead, you’re in search of something that will abate your stress and put you into a catatonic state of fullness. Consider one of Zoe’s tasty starters, such as tangy buffalo wings—also available boneless—or the crisp fried calamari. After gulping down half of your milkshake, bite into the one and only restaurant-quality Philly cheesesteak you can find in the Square.

The Low-Carb Enthusiast: Whether you are on the South Beach, Sonoma, or Atkins diet, Zoe’s has a wide variety of options. Try one of the salads— my personal favorite is the baby spinach with walnuts, apples, and goat cheese, or delve into one of the many omelets (egg-whites are available for an extra charge). Just make sure you don’t forget to hold the toast.

The High-Society Type: You probably can’t believe that your friends talked you out of going to Rialto or Upstairs on the Square, but you’ve decided to put up with their pedestrian tastes for the night. Start with the hummus dip, followed by a sizzling lamb or swordfish kebab for a real ethnic treat. While you might find the slow service and paper napkins irritating, Zoe’s offers one of the best Greek options you can find in the vicinity.

The Hungry Athlete: After a hard practice, Zoe’s can provide you with some serious fuel to recuperate. Try any one of the burgers. Annoyingly, fries are an extra charge or go for the gold with the house specialty, “My Three Sons.” Covering two large plates, this meal includes three eggs, three pieces of bacon and sausage, and your choice of three pancakes or slices of French toast. Sadly, I doubt you’ll have room for dessert.

Though it might seem like an odd twist, Zoe’s prepares both its diner and Greek cuisine surprisingly well. The service, ambiance, and food make this diner a much better choice than the more popular Greenhouse Café, located in the heart of the Square. Expect a long wait on weekends for brunch, but most nights you can walk right in. It’s a cheap and casual locale for an evening with friends or a low-key date.

Location: 1105 Massachusetts Ave. (A few blocks past the Harvard Inn)

Ratings (out of 5)

Overall: 3.5

Cleanliness: 4

Service: 3

Atmosphere: 4