Freshman Akpan makes final cut of U.S. Under-20 National Team, to play in CONCACAF qualifier

By The Crimson Staff

Much like the 2006 Harvard men’s soccer team, freshman sensation André Akpan rose to unsurpassed—and perhaps unexpected—heights.

Yesterday, the decorated forward from Grand Prairie, Texas, who was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year in the fall after leading the league in point-scoring, made the final roster cut for the U.S. Under-20 National Team.

Akpan was one of 20 players, including nine professionals, pared down from an initial list of 70 by veteran U-20 Coach Thomas Rongen, himself a native of the Netherlands. The squad will compete in the upcoming CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualifying Tournament in Panama City, Panama..

Akpan and the U.S. Team are scheduled to play Haiti in their first game on Jan. 17 at Rommel Fernandez Stadium. They will play Guatemala on Jan. 19 and Panama on Jan. 21. The U.S. has qualified for five consecutive FIFA U-20 World Cups, and would advance to its sixth straight by passing through the Group A stage.

“We are thrilled for Andre and the success that he has earned,” said Harvard coach John Kerr in a press release. “First and foremost, I think Andre impressed the National Team coaches with his attitude and approach to the game.”

Joining Akpan on the roster are six Major League Soccer professionals, including Real Salt Lake phenom Freddie Adu. The others are Nathan Sturgis, Tim Ward, Danny Szetela, Josmer Altidore, and Quavas Kirk.

UCLA midfielder Tony Beltran and Wake Forest defender Julian Valentin, also named, joined Akpan in an online show called “Roster Spot” on ussoccer.com. In one episode, Akpan ran, at 4.60 seconds, the fastest 40-yard dash at the camp.

Other honorees include UCLA forward Sal Zizzo, who scored two goals against Harvard in the NCAA Tournament to eliminate Harvard, and overseas professionals Robbie Rogers (Netherlands), Johann Smith (England), and Preston Zimmerman (Germany).

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Soccer