Healey May (Not) Come to Campus

Former Lt. Governor’s place at the Kennedy school unconfirmed by Gergen

By Nathaniel S. Rakich, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Kerry M. Healey ’82 could be returning to campus this year—and not just to celebrate her 25th college reunion.

Healey told The Associated Press on Monday that she plans to join the Center for Public Leadership (CPL) at the John F. Kennedy School of Government (KSG) this fall.

However, the center’s director, KSG Public Service Professor David Gergen, could not confirm that an agreement had been reached.

Executive Director of the CPL Betsy Myers could not be reached for comment.

Healey, speaking at a fundraiser for former Mass. Governor W. Mitt Romney’s presidential exploratory committee, said that she was “really looking forward” to the opportunity. But she also said she is looking into other pursuits ranging from boardroom to community service positions.

During her time at Harvard, Healey concentrated in Government and was a resident of South House, now Cabot.

She was the Republican nominee for Massachusetts governor in 2006 after four years in the state’s number-two post, but lost in the November election to fellow Harvard alum Governor Deval L. Patrick ’78.

According to its web site, the CPL is “committed to bridging the gap between leadership theory and practice.” Founded in 2000, it encourages future leaders through academic, practical, and executive programs, including sponsoring research and workshops.

Jeff Amestoy, former chief justice of the Vermont Supreme Court, is currently a fellow at the CPL.

—Staff writer Nathaniel S. Rakich can be reached at nrakich@fas.harvard.edu.