Ned Lamont Is Headed Back to Harvard

After failed bid for Senate spot, he secures a post at his alma mater

Three alums who lost critical November elections have won spring semester posts at their alma mater, including the failed Democratic senatorial candidate Ned Lamont '76.

The Institute of Politics (IOP) announced today that its spring class of resident fellows will include Kerry M. Healey ’82, the former Republican lieutenant governor of Massachusetts who lost her bid for the state’s top job last year; Nancy L. Johnson ’57, the 12-term Republican congresswoman from Connecticut who was ousted by a Democratic challenger two months ago; and Lamont, who defeated incumbent Senator Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., in an August primary before Lieberman stormed back to win the general election.

Healey had previously told reporters that she would be taking a post next fall at Harvard’s Center for Public Leadership, which—like the IOP—is based at the Kennedy School of Government. But the center’s director said earlier this month that the arrangement had not been confirmed.

Also in the spring semester fellows class are Justice Department official James A. Baker, reporter Carl M. Cannon of the National Journal, and former White House speechwriter Chriss Winston.

Baker, who does not appear to be related to former Secretary of State James A. Baker III, is on leave of absence from his work as counsel for intelligence policy in the Justice Department’s National Security Division.

Cannon is the co-author of a biography of Bush strategist Karl Rove, entitled “Boy Genius.”

Winston was the first woman to direct the White House Office of Speechwriting, serving under the first President Bush from 1989 to 1991.

It’s not the first time that the four-decade-old Institute of Politics has sported a high-profile fellows class. Recent resident fellows have included longtime Washington Post editor Benjamin Bradlee ’42, Democratic political operative Joe Trippi, and former professional wrestler and Minnesota Governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura. Fellows lead semester-long study groups that meet weekly and are open to all students at the University.