Upfront Funds for HoCos, But Students 'Sidelined' on Decisions

Administrators vacillate over how to handle UC funds

By Aditi Banga and Victoria B. Kabak, Crimson Staff Writerss

College administrators announced last night that there would be no change to the way Undergraduate Council money is distributed to House Committees, ending a week of back and forth discussions between HoCo members and University Hall.

According to an e-mail sent last night to the HoCo chairs and treasurers, HoCos can continue to receive UC funds in an up-front, lump sum of $4,500 or access it through their House administration on an event-by-event basis.

Yesterday’s clarification reflected the administration’s vacillation over how to handle UC funds, after its decision two weeks ago to stop the party grant program sparked surprise and some consternation across campus.

HoCo members were told on Friday that their funding would be transferred to House budgets rather than to HoCo accounts.

According to Associate Dean of Harvard College Judith H. Kidd, the decision was made “in the interest of speed,” but the move prompted complaints that the administration was overstepping its jurisdiction when it came to HoCo events.

In an e-mail sent late in the day yesterday, Assistant Dean of Residential Life Joshua McIntosh apologized for any confusion caused by the ongoing revision of the College’s policies on UC funding from the $75 termbilled student activities fee.

“I am happy to cut [HoCos] a check, deposit funds into their HUECU account (for those that have one), or keep the money in their House account,” McIntosh wrote.

As of yesterday, the rest of the Council’s funds from the optional fee remain frozen, the major topic of discussion at the UC’s meeting on Sunday.

This is not the first time that members of the administration have altered their position on UC funding, which has come under scrutiny since the termination of the UC party grant program and the freezing of the UC’s funds.

Assistant Dean of the College Paul J. McLoughlin II said last Tuesday that student groups—including HoCos— would have to file receipts from their events before the University would reimburse spending. But the College reversed its position later in the week when Associate Dean for Residential Life Suzy M. Nelson announced that HoCos would continue to receive the $4,500 as an up-front lump sum each semester.

Last Friday, the administration contradicted its stance again when it decided to transfer these funds to the House administrations instead.

In interviews, HoCo Chairs expressed frustration at their exclusion from the decision-making process of the past weeks, as the administration’s position on funding and party grants has changed.

“Rather than altering their position every step of the way, the deans should just tell everyone what is going on,” Cabot HoCo Co-Chair Ajay G. Kumar ’08 said. “It’s a game of telephone and the backstory gets modified along the way. I shouldn’t have to go through my House master to get information.”

HoCo chairs met in Adams House Sunday night to discuss the change. Following the meeting, they released a hand-written statement in the name of the “Pan-House Committee,” saying they were “committed to working with the Deans and especially the House Masters in upholding our great tradition of hosting safe events.” They declined to comment further on the discussions.

The “Pan-House Committee” planned to meet with Nelson today, but the appointment was rescheduled for Oct. 24 before being moved back to its original date.

The College is also facing pressure from student groups who may be affected by the change in allocation of UC funds. Yesterday morning administrators received a letter signed by over two dozen student leaders.

“The Undergraduate Council Fee is primarily used to fund student group events and we hope the Administration will stay true to this commitment in safeguarding these funds for student groups and the thousands of students we serve on a daily basis in food workshops, dances, concerts, study breaks and more,” the letter read.

Jeffrey Kwong ’09, the president of the Harvard Republican Club and Harvard Right to Life and a former UC member, who spearheaded the effort, said that both Pilbeam and Kidd have responded, saying they will take his concerns into consideration.

Like the HoCo chairs, Kwong said that he and other student group leaders have felt sidelined while the administration and UC have duked it out the past couple of weeks.

“One of my groups depends solely on UC funding, so I’m glad the deans are being understanding and hope they will get back to us soon,” Kwong said. “It’s frustrating that the administration is being unfair and holding all UC funds hostage when they just have problems with the party fund, which is only 5% of the UC funding.”

UC President Ryan A. Petersen ’08 has previously told the Crimson that three-quarters of the UC’s roughly $500,000 budget goes to weekly student group allotments.

Kidd, McLoughlin, Nelson, and McIntosh did not return repeated requests for comment after the announcement was made yesterday evening.

—Staff writer Aditi Banga can be reached at abanga@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Victoria B. Kabak can be reached at vkabak@fas.harvard.edu.