Pumpkins: The New Drunk & Slutty

Apologies to “Mean Girls,” but Halloween is much more than an excuse for girls to get away with dressing super-trashy
By D. PATRICK Knoth

Apologies to “Mean Girls,” but Halloween is much more than an excuse for girls to get away with dressing super-trashy (hi Regina!). For those unable to recognize the inherent purity of the holiday, FM has compiled a list of five places to get pumpkins, squash, and other traditional Halloween paraphernalia.

Mahoney’s Garden Center

449 Western Ave., Brighton

Pros: A quick (13-minute) bus ride results in a good selection of traditional, old-school pumpkins. Squash, gourds, bales of straw, and cornstalks provide a well-rounded supply of room decorations.

Cons: The hassle/embarrassment/gawking that ensues from carrying straw, cornstalks, and pumpkins on a bus.

Allandale Farm

259 Allandale Rd., Chestnut Hill

Pros: Allandale’s is accessible by bus, yet still offers the typical pumpkin patch fare: hayrides, hot apple cider, excellent pumpkin and squash variety. Students can make a pit stop at Boston College since they’re already in Chestnut Hill.

Cons: After the 45-minute bus ride, students must embark on a 15-minute trek to the farm. Imagine how enjoyable the return trip is with a 40-pound pumpkin in each hand.

Shelburne Farm

106 West Acton Road, Stow

Pros: “Pick-your-own” policy provides an excellent selection of pumpkins at this traditional pumpkin patch. For the adventurous, Shelburne Farm offers hayrides, pony rides, tractor rallies, and a moon bounce.

Cons: Screaming kids on ponies. Some people would rather someone else pick their pumpkins for them. Plus, it takes 40 minutes to get there. By car.

Home Depot

Somerville and Waterville locations are closest

Pros: For those who need an electric chain saw to carve pumpkins, Home Depot provides one-stop stopping.

Cons: In addition to the terrible selection, the pumpkins are probably last year’s leftovers. Which were probably the year before that year’s leftovers. And so forth.

CVS Pharmacy

Mass Ave.

Pros: It’s 24/7. It is across the street from the Yard. It has Halloween candy.

Cons: No pumpkins.