Tennant To Lead Class of 2008

By Vidya B. Viswanathan, Crimson Staff Writer

Alexander J. Tennant ’08 will serve as the First Marshal of the Class of 2008, the Harvard Alumni Association announced today as it revealed the eight winners of the senior class marshal election.

The other seven class marshals, who will coordinate this spring’s social events for seniors and alumni reunions for the Class of 2008, are Firth M. McEachern ’08, Marcus G. Miller ’08, Karolis Balciunas ’08, S. Adam Goldenberg ’08, Lori M. Adelman ’08, Joshua C.H. Sharp ’08, and Aditi Mallick ’08.

Tennant said he was “completely shocked and jumped around” when a fellow elected Marshal told him the news when they ran into each other on Church Street earlier today.

“I actually thought about this over the summer because I was thinking about how much I enjoyed my time at Harvard and thinking of ways I could stay connected and continue to have Harvard be a part of my life when I graduated,” he said of why he chose to run for the position.

Sixty-one seniors ran in the class marshal election this fall, according to Alexandra Monti, a Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development official who will work with the Senior Class Committee. Those who ran had to obtain 25 classmate signatures and submit a resume.

The Senior Class Committee will be composed of the eight elected marshals as well as 13 representatives from the upperclass Houses, who will be elected next week. Petitions for that election are due this Thursday.

Monti said she was pleased with the number of people who ran for class marshal this year. “We keep in touch with former class committee members pretty well,” she said. “It’s a definitely a great opportunity to be in a position at the alumni association to provide the planning and some of the funding for the events.”

Tennant said “a lot of students from different circles” were selected for the group of marshals. “I’m really excited to get the committee together and just brainstorm ideas and try to get as much input and feedback from students. Looking back on this, it’s going to be one of the best times of our lives.”