SPORTS BRIEF: W. Hockey Players Face Off in Four Nations Cup

By Rebecca A. Compton, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s hockey team’s Sarah Vaillancourt helped Team Canada to a gold medal against Team USA at this weekend’s Four Nations Cup in Leksand, Sweden.

The Canadians posted a 2-0 victory over a U.S. Women’s Select Team that included current Harvard tri-captain Caitlin Cahow and former co-captain Julie Chu ‘06-’07.

The U.S. outshot Canada, 12-8, in the opening frame but found itself in the hole when former Crimson captain Jennifer Botterill ’02-’03 struck at the 10:21 mark. Team Canada would go on to score again on an empty net with four seconds left in the game.

Team USA finished in second place with a 2-2 overall record, with wins coming against Sweden and Finland and both losses sustained to Canada.

Chu was named the U.S. Player of the Game in the 2-1 win over Finland, while Cahow assisted on a score in the 4-0 triumph over Sweden.

Canada skated to a perfect 4-0 record in its gold-medal effort, amassing 17 total goals. Vaillancourt added a score in her team’s 5-3 win against Sweden in its third game of the Cup.

—REBECCA A. COMPTON

Women's Ice Hockey