If You Slash, They Will Come

Price reductions through student discount cards will be a boon to student life

By The Crimson Staff

Soon, a Harvard ID with a few remaining dollars of Board Plus won’t be the only card students use to avoid burning through their bank account. This January, the Undergraduate Council (UC) will be issuing student discount cards to all undergraduates, thereby expanding the array of markdowns and freebies available to Harvard students in the Square. Although it is necessary that the UC focus much of its efforts on large-scale projects such as calendar reform, the introduction of something such as discount cards is a refreshing reminder that the student government can make small but helpful changes in campus life.

The purpose of the new discount cards is twofold. Many stores in the Square already offer reduced prices to students with a college ID, but these savings remain under-publicized. Along with offering new discounts at popular Square businesses, the card will publicize existing markdowns. This will not only benefit cash-strapped students, but will also help to support small businesses in the Square (such as Herrell’s and Dickson Brothers Co.) who choose to participate.

The UC representatives behind the initiative have proven themselves willing and able to facilitate projects that respond to strong but oft-overlooked needs on campus. Other colleges and high schools have long had student discount cards; it is about time that Harvard students take advantage of their pooled purchasing power as well. Hopefully, students will choose to use their cards frequently, and Square businesses will respond in kind by expanding their markdowns. It’s a win-win situation: the UC discount cards are sure to benefit students and Square businesses alike.