Student Hit By Car Near Fogg

Sophomore cuts lip, falls into bush after being struck while walking on sidewalk

By Noah S. Bloom and Anna L. Tong, Crimson Staff Writerss

An automobile struck a male undergraduate Wednesday in front of the Fogg Art Museum. The student suffered minor injuries.

Warakorn “Pete” Kulalert ’10 said he was walking on the sidewalk of Quincy Street towards Broadway Street at about 6 p.m. when a white truck, driving in the opposite direction, drove up on the curb and hit him.

“The car just ran in the sidewalk and hit me into a bush,” he said in an interview.

Kulalert was then transported to Mt. Auburn Hospital but he said the truck was moving too slowly to cause any major injuries.

“[Kulalert’s] condition was non-life threatening; he had a cut lip and was complaining of pain in the leg,” said Cambridge Police Department spokesman Frank T. Pasquarello.

Pasquarello said the driver was cited for marked lane violations.

“The police told me the driver might have been on his cell phone when he hit me,” Kulalert said.

Harvard University Police Department spokesman Steven G. Catalano said he recalls occasional car accidents involving pedestrians or bicycles over the years. “In general, they are fairly rare,” he said.

Last fall, Dunster House resident Madeleine I. Shapiro ’09, an incoming Crimson sports chair, was hit by a car turning left onto Mount Auburn Street from DeWolfe Street. [SEE CORRECTION BELOW]

In spring 2006, the father of a junior was struck by a University shuttle in front of Dunster House after he fell while loading his daughter’s belongings into their car.

Kulalert said he is still surprised by what happened to him. “It’s pretty outrageous that [the truck driver] drove on the sidewalk,” he said.

—Staff writer Noah S. Bloom can be reached at nsbloom@fas.harvard.edu.
—Staff writer Anna L. Tong can be reached at tong@fas.harvard.edu.

CORRECTION:
The Nov. 30 news article "Student Hit By Car Near Fogg"  incorrectly stated that a Dunster House resident was hit by a car turning left onto Mount Auburn Street from DeWolfe Street. In fact, the car was turning onto Mount Auburn Street from Bow Street.