Soccer Hopes to Keep Playing

Wins tomorrow against Penn and next week against Yale should bring NCAA bid

Co-captain Matt Hoff and 15th-ranked Harvard need to beat Penn tomorrow to keep their NCAA tournament dreams alive.
By Kate Leist, Contributing Writer

Going into tomorrow’s game against the Penn (5-8-2, 2-3 Ivy), the Harvard men’s soccer team has one goal in mind.

“We have to win,” junior Mike Fucito said.

Losing is no longer an option for the Crimson (10-3-2, 3-2 Ivy), currently ranked 15th in the nation. With losses to Ivy rivals Brown and Dartmouth already in the books, the league title is out of its reach.

But with two games left to play, an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament is still a very real possibility.

“With two victories, we’ll be able to convince the committee that we should play in the tournament,” coach John Kerr said.

Harvard is coming off a convincing 5-1 victory over Columbia last Saturday. Four different sophomores scored goals for the Crimson, including Andre Akpan, who recorded a point for the 11th time in the last 12 games. Akpan’s 2.07 points-per-game is the second best in the nation.

“We had a good game against Columbia but we can’t be satisfied with that,” Fucito said.

The team remains focused on tomorrow’s game against the Quakers. Although they have had a disappointing season this year, Penn was the runner-up to Harvard in the Ivy League last year and graduated only three seniors from that squad.

“Their record belies how good they are,” Kerr said. “Penn is a very good, solid team. They’re quick and agile and they can hurt you offensively.”

The Quakers are led offensively by freshman Loukas Tasigianis and junior Alex Grendi, who each have ten points on the season.

Defensively, however, the team has struggled, allowing the second-most number of goals in the League.

Last time out, Penn suffered a 1-0 loss to Princeton, a team the Crimson beat 3-2 in October.

Harvard has spent the week preparing itself for the Quakers’ speed and focusing on the team’s ultimate goal of making it to the NCAA playoffs.

“We need everybody ready to contribute,” Kerr said. “We’re hoping that everyone is sharp and ready to go come Saturday.”

“We’re going to have to work hard and earn it to win,” Fucito added.

Tomorrow’s game also holds special significance for the Crimson’s senior co-captains Matt Hoff and Adam Hahn, who will be honored for their contributions to the team at this, the last home game of the season.

Hoff is tied for third on the team with eight points on a goal and six assists. Hahn, Harvard’s starting goalkeeper who has clocked over 1,355 minutes this season, ranks third in the Ivy League in saves and owns a 1.19 goals against average.

“We have two senior captains who have had great careers here,” Kerr said. “It’s a real tribute to them.”

“I’m kind of sad, but I’m motivated to do my best and hopefully help my team out,” Hoff added.

But the excitement of Senior Day won’t detract from the players’ intensity when they step onto Ohiri Field at 11 am tomorrow. The ultimate goal of getting a playoff bid is not far from Harvard’s mind.

“I told [the seniors] to concentrate on the game and make sure we get the win that we need, then celebrate afterwards,” Kerr said.

“It’s a momentous occasion if we make the playoffs in back-to-back years,” Hoff said.

To get there, though, the team is taking it one day and one game at a time. After tomorrow’s game, the Crimson will look ahead to its regular season finale at rival Yale (3-7-5, 1-2-2 Ivy) next Saturday.

And with any luck, Harvard’s seniors will be able to extend their final season well into the NCAA tournament.

“I sure don’t want to stop playing in two weeks,” Hoff said. “I’d rather be playing a month down the road.”

Men's Soccer