‘tick, tick...BOOM!’ Blows Adams House Away

Jon (Derek S. Mueller ’10) sings an ode to a Twinkie in “tick, tick...BOOM!” He is accompanied by Emily B. Hecht ’11, right, and Trevor G. Frankel ’09. left. The Adams House Pool Theatre production runs through Dec. 16.
By Vidya B. Viswanathan, Contributing Writer

In “tick, tick...BOOM!,” main character Jon (Derek S. Mueller ’10) humorously agonizes for a whole song—whimsically titled “Sugar”—over the process of buying a Twinkie. He compares it to trying to buy a pack of condoms: both involve the characteristic guilty body language, the overt attempts at subtlety, and the cashier’s tendency to nip the purchaser’s unobtrusiveness in the bud. A few scenes later, Jon’s best friend reveals that he is seriously ill, and Jon blanches, tears in his eyes.

From “Sugar” to shock, “tick, tick…BOOM!,” which runs through Dec. 16 in the Adams House Pool Theatre, continually oscillates between the lighthearted and the dramatic in an hour of monologues and musical numbers. The actors’ intensity and the strength of the live band that accompanies their performance makes the Adams Drama Society production an engaging emotional rollercoaster of a show.

Playwright Jonathan Larson wrote “tick, tick…BOOM!” before he created the Broadway hit “RENT.” Directed by Sean P. Bala ’09 and produced by Brittany C. Behrens ’08, the show tells the autobiographical story of composer Jon, who lives in an apartment in SoHo in 1990, and the crisis he undergoes shortly before his 30th birthday.

As Jon, Mueller takes center stage for most of the scenes, serving as the emotional thread that ties the musical together. Although he occasionally stumbles on his lines, Mueller masterfully portrays Jon’s abundance of feeling through an impressive range of emotions that include hesitance, frustration, enthusiasm, depression, and hope.

Trevor G. Frankel ’09 plays Michael, Jon’s roommate who “sells out” to the corporate world. Decked out in an all-black suit, a Gucci belt, and a green tie, his presence on stage lends an endearing quirkiness and humor to the show. Ultimately, Frankel gives his most inspiring performance in the song “Real Life,” where he explains his qualms about the corporate world to Jon. His deep, rich voice lends poignancy to the questions that he asks, and the shadows on his face powerfully reflect his inner torment.

Emily B. Hecht ’11 plays Jon’s girlfriend, Susan, as well as several female extras with hilariously exaggerated personalities and accents. Although Hecht’s performance as Susan is strong, the lackluster chemistry between Jon and Susan is not as engaging as the sheer comedy of Hecht’s other roles. As a business executive, her dripping condescension is excruciating—and hilarious in its realism.

The powerful musical accompaniment puts the “BOOM!” in “tick, tick…BOOM!” Given that the Pool Theatre is quite a small venue, the rock band that accompanies the actors’ performances is a surprisingly strong presence without overpowering the actors. Keyboardist Joshua R. Stein ’10, bassist Joseph C. Higgins ’11, guitarist Shane P. Donovan ’09, and drummer Sami Majadla ’11 successfully toe the line between soulful melody and a catchy beat.

Although the show’s opening and conclusion might lack energy, the great music and the actors’ interesting dance moves are always engaging. The lighting (designed by Reva P. Minkoff ’08) clearly delineates the set (designed by Thalassa G. Raasch ’10) from the audience, which provides a strong and much-needed point of focus for the action.

The similarities between the characters, themes, and even melodies of “tick, tick…BOOM!” and “RENT” will enthrall fans of the latter Broadway hit. Even on its own merits, the Adams production brilliantly pushes its characters to their most comic and tragic.