“I’ve learned so much from just playing the game,” says Hallion.

Lindsay F. Hallion

A lot of people at Harvard think they’re “ballers,” but Lindsay F. Hallion ’08 has the credentials to prove it.
By Russell F. Rennie

A lot of people at Harvard think they’re “ballers,” but Lindsay F. Hallion ’08 has the credentials to prove it. Like all good sports stories, the story of this 5’9” point guard and captain of the women’s basketball team involves a comeback. After leading her Westwood high school team to two state titles, winning MVP two years running, and racking up a ridiculous 1,538 points, Hallion came to Harvard dying to play college ball. But right before the start of her freshman season, she tore her ACL, causing her to miss the whole first season. “It actually happened 3 days before the first game, so it was a huge letdown,” Hallion says. “You get so close to getting to play college ball, and then you’re out for 6 months.” That didn’t stop her from storming back. As a sophomore she started 21 games, averaging 7 points per game and making the All-Ivy Honor Roll. Her junior year she really made an impact. She started every game, averaging 12 points per game, with 99 assists and 51 steals on the season. It wasn’t just her numbers that distinguished her, though: she’s been nominated for captain every year since she was a freshman. “I’ve never seen anyone with her kind of passion for the game, her work ethic,” teammate and longtime friend Katie B. Rollins ’09 says. “In practice, she’ll dive in the end line to beat someone in a sprint. We’ll finish a scrimmage during practice and the game will be tied, and she’ll want to keep playing.” Off the court, she tries to make it to all her teammates’ performances and shows. Not on Thursday nights though—she’s the self-styled “Stein Club President” of Leverett House, working to improve this house-life staple, while helping with the 80s Dance as well. Her post-graduation plans are not finalized, but she doesn’t want to step off the court just yet. This might mean leaving America for the leagues of Europe, but she can’t start looking until she’s done with Harvard. “I’ve actually never been outside of the United States,” she says. But for someone who just keeps getting better, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Women's Basketball