SPORTS BRIEF: Fucito and Akpan recognized as All-Americans, All-Ivy

By Julia R. Senior, Crimson Staff Writer

In an announcement made by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) junior Mike Fucito and sophomore Andrew Akpan were named to the All-American second-team. The pair also got the nod for the All-Northeast Region first-team. The two forwards are the only players from the Ivy League to be selected to the All-American team. Akpan—who was one of just three unanimous decisions—and Fucito, along with senior captain Matt Hoff, were also selected to the All-Ivy first-team.

Additionally, Akpan was chosen as a second-team All-American by College Soccer News and was the only underclassman in the country to be chosen as a semi-finalist for the Herman Trophy, which is given to the best player in Division I men’s soccer. A pre-season All-American, Akpan finished the year with a team and league best 13 goals and nine assists for 35 points. Akpan’s 2.06 points per game was good enough to make him the second-leading scorer in the country. He is just one of nine Division I players to have notched a 10-game scoring streak.

Fucito was the only member of the team to be selected to the Academic All-Ivy first team. The dangerously fast forward finished the year with 11 goals and seven assists for 29 points. The marks were the best of his career. His 1.71 points per game was the ninth best in the nation. He and Akpan finished the year tied with six multi-point games.

—JULIA R. SENIOR

Men's Soccer