Banning Bad Choices

Congress should pass legislation that bans the sale of unhealthy food in public schools

By The Crimson Staff

According to the American Heart Association, nearly one in five American children between the ages of 6 and 11 are overweight. Perhaps that statistic doesn’t resound as much as it should—it means that nearly one in five children today are already on track for developing type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea, and the whole glut of diseases and disorders associated with obesity. If America’s dire obesity epidemic is to be contained, decisive action must be taken in the interest of the public health, starting with policies that encourage children and adolescents to develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime. It is admirable, therefore, that federal lawmakers have recently proposed legislation that recognizes the government’s responsibility in the fight against childhood obesity.

If passed, an amendment appended to a $268 billion farm bill would impose a federal ban on the selling of unhealthy snacks—such as candy and soda—in public school snack bars, vending machines, and à la carte cafeteria lines. Food would be vetted based on levels of saturated fat, trans fat, and sodium. The measure will also set restrictions on the calorie content of drinks sold in public high schools, while imposing even stricter limitations on drinks sold in public elementary and middle schools, allowing for the sale of only bottled water and low-fat milk and juice.

We are heartened that the amendment, chiefly sponsored by Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), has bipartisan support, likely a reflection of the public’s growing concern over our children’s preference for the abundance of readily available, sugary and salty food in our schools. According to a report released by the Government Accountability Office in 2005, 99 percent of public high schools, 97 percent of middle schools, and 83 percent of elementary schools have either vending machines or snack bars that offer primarily unhealthy snacks. This is because many schools and large food and beverage producers, like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, have reached agreements by which both parties profit when schools sell a particular company’s brands.

The health of our schoolchildren, however, is far too high a price to pay for increased school revenue. Just as it would be ludicrous for high schools to sell cigarettes during lunch, it is ridiculous that 83 percent of elementary schools are making a profit on the sale of fattening snacks. Naturally, good eating habits must be developed and nurtured at home, but parents have little control over how children use their lunch money at school. When given freedom of choice, few children can be relied upon to make well-informed decisions that prioritize their long-term health. The legislators backing this bill should be applauded for recognizing that the government has a moral imperative to encourage smart dietary choices and halt the alarming spread of childhood obesity.