Our Idea of Activism

It’s a particularly exciting moment in the American election cycle: the Iowa Caucus is less than a month away, and
By Daniel J. Mandel

It’s a particularly exciting moment in the American election cycle: the Iowa Caucus is less than a month away, and the primary races on both sides are heating up.

At Harvard, signs of Obamamania and Huckapalooza are everywhere. Sort of. To be sure, our various species of political animal have come out of hibernation: the detached prognosticators, the spit-shined climbers, the smug ignoramuses.

The College’s political energy has actually been kind of underwhelming. And some members of the Class of 1967 are hopping mad about it. They’re so fed up with our general political disengagement, in fact, that they took to drastic measures: no less an act of protest than an “Open Letter to President Drew Faust.”

What would we need to do to prove our political activist to these children of the 1960s—occupy Mass Hall? Honestly, the only building most students seem interested in occupying these days is the Queen’s Head.

But there’s at least one undergrad who is deeply and sincerely engaged. Yes, Bennett C. Braddock III ’08 is a political junkie. He’s also an ardent support of First Amendment rights, especially when free speech involves shouting “You’re really hot!” in a crowded bar.

You can imagine my surprise when I ran into Braddock at a recent Hillary Clinton rally, just across the state line in New Hampshire. (Seriously, people, the crucial first primary will take place just 40 miles from here!)

Bennett! You’ve got to be kidding me… are you wearing a campaign button?

“What up, bro. I cannot lie. I have campaign fever, and the only cure is more Hillary.”

Her? I would have pegged you as a Republican for sure.

“Well, I did have a cardboard cutout of Clarence Thomas in my childhood bedroom. My aunt even got me a subscription to The National Review for Kids. But ever since I heard Hillary speak about her health-care plan, I’ve been hooked.”

I see. You’re a policy wonk.

“She was wearing this orange pantsuit, low neckline. Dude, I’d wonk that!” Braddock said with a hearty laugh.

It was all beginning to make sense now.