Crimson Routs Huskies for Third Place

Harvard "gets back on horse," claims Beanpot consolation prize

By Dixon McPhillips, Contributing Writer

CHESTNUT HILL—The No. 6 Harvard women’s hockey team delivered an impressive all-around effort in trouncing crosstown, non-conference rival Northeastern, 8-0, last night in the consolation game of the Beanpot at Boston College’s Conte Forum.

The first-line trio of sophomores Sarah Vaillancourt and Sarah Wilson and senior co-captain Julie Chu combined for 14 points in an easy victory over the Huskies (3-25-2).

Vaillancourt connected for two goals and three assists, while Wilson had two goals and two assists and Chu finished with one goal and four assists.

Sophomore goaltender Brittany Martin needed only 14 saves to record her fifth shutout of the season for the Crimson (19-6-2).

“I was happy with the way our team came out and played today,” said Harvard head coach Katey Stone. “We came with a lot of energy to the rink and a lot of good things happened for us.”

The Crimson suffered a devastating triple-overtime 4-3 loss to Boston College in the Beanpot’s opening round last Tuesday, sending it to the consolation game.

But in last night’s game, Harvard showed it was still capable of playing at the level that earned it seven straight Beanpot titles from 1999-2005.

“It’s good to get back on track,” Stone said. “To get back on the horse and get going. We’ve made some adjustments and we like where we’re at.”

Harvard got off to an early lead just 2:16 into the game, when Vaillancourt connected with Wilson for a one-timed shot past Northeastern goaltender Sarah Belliveau.

The Crimson scored again on a perfectly executed 2-on-1 by Chu and Vaillancourt, and made it 3-0 late in the first period when Chu capitalized on a power-play chance with her 17th goal of the season. Chu beat Belliveau with a deft fake and buried the puck from the backhand side.

After the first intermission, Harvard wasted no time adding to its cushion, as Wilson scored on a slapshot with assists from Vaillancourt and Chu just 20 seconds into the frame.

“[Wilson] does a great job of being able to jump up into the play,” Chu said. “She has a tremendous amount of speed and skill and she does a great job burying the puck when she has a chance and dishing the puck to open players as well.”

Junior Laura Brady followed less than five minutes later, gathering a loose puck and tucking it into the near side. Vaillancourt closed the second period with a power-play strike when a rebound from Chu’s shot found her stick and she put it away to record her second goal of the game.

The Crimson buried the Huskies further in the hole in the third period with the first career goals of freshman Kathryn Farni and junior fourth- liner Brenna McLean. McLean’s nifty backhand goal came with just under four minutes left in the game to finish the 8-0 rout.

“There are some games where they don’t get a lot of ice time, but when they get a chance, they play their hearts out,” Chu said of the impact of McLean and the rest of the fourth line. “It’s inspiring to see them get a chance to go out and play hard. And when they got a chance to go out, they were the best line.”

Harvard’s victory comes at an opportune time, as the team has its final two regular-season conference games, against Yale and Brown, this weekend. The Crimson is playing for its seed going in the ECAC Tournament, which begins in two weeks.

“Hopefully we can keep that momentum going here to help us finish up the regular season,” Stone said.

Harvard returns home this weekend to face Yale on Friday at 7 p.m., and Brown the next day at 4 p.m., at the Bright Hockey Center.

Women's Ice Hockey