Attempted Suicide at Harvard T Station

By Nan Ni, Crimson Staff Writer

An unidentified man jumped onto the tracks in front of an oncoming subway train in the Harvard Square T stop yesterday evening, but managed to survive in what police are calling an attempted suicide.

According to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) police Lieutenant Salvatore L. Venturelli, the man—whom he described as a Caucasian male in his fifties—jumped at approximately 7:30 p.m. in front of an outbound subway train.

The man was not carrying any identification when he jumped, according to Venturelli.

Venturelli said the man was rushed to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and that his injuries were not life-threatening.

“He’s going to make it,” said Venturelli. “He had some lacerations in the head area, but nothing too serious.”

Venturelli also said that the man was conscious and being interviewed by investigators in the hospital.

Bystander Daniel K. Preston, a local Web designer, was leaving the Harvard Coop at approximately 8 p.m. when he saw police cars and ambulances congregate around the Harvard Square T stop.

“A few minutes later, I saw them bring the man up in a stretcher,” said Preston. “He had some pretty bad face injuries and I overheard the authorities say that he might not live.”

As a result of the incident, outbound train service from Harvard Square was shut down, and commuters were re-routed to a shuttle that replaced the regular outbound Red Line subway. Regular MBTA service was restored at approximately 9:40 p.m.

-Staff writer Nan Ni can be reached at nni@fas.harvard.edu.