So Long, Pat And Joe

Currier House’s co-masters will be remembered for their contributions to student life

By The Crimson Staff

Patricia O’Brien and Joseph L. Badaracco, who announced Monday night that they would step down as co-masters of Currier House, will be missed at Harvard College. Though we respect their decision, which was made for personal and professional reasons, we cannot but lament the imminent loss of two of the College’s strongest advocates for students.

O’Brien and Badaracco, who is also Shad Professor of business ethics at the Business School, were, by all accounts, model House Masters. From redesigning Currier’s fishbowl, transforming it from a de facto dance studio, unused by Currierites, into a center of House life, to constantly making themselves available to their students, Badaracco and O’Brien made Currier not only a welcoming place to spend three years, but an immensely desirable one. Upon being quadded on blocking day, those freshmen who saw Currier’s tree on their blocking cards could take solace in knowing that they had gained entrance to one of the most unique and special places at Harvard.

O’Brien’s contribution to student life, however, goes far beyond that of a top-notch House master. In her two years as deputy dean of Harvard College, O’Brien’s was among the loudest voices for improving student life in University Hall. Although her tenure at Harvard was brief—O’Brien was reportedly fired last summer largely due to internal politics—she made changes in student life at Harvard that will last for generations.

The former deputy dean’s most concrete legacies are the Lamont Café and the forthcoming Queen’s Head Pub in Loker Commons. Within University Hall, O’Brien was known for keeping a keen eye on senior surveys and always cared about what the students thought. She was a key behind-the-scenes player who made things happen even if that meant challenging traditional power structures within the Faculty. From creating the College Events Board to improving the freshman experience, O’Brien’s fingerprints are everywhere.

O’Brien also played a crucial role as a liaison to former University President Lawrence H. Summers, who frequently mentioned O’Brien’s contributions with high praise. She played an instrumental role in making sure that Summers was constantly aware of student life issues and also helped garner his financial support for undergraduate initatives. We can only hope that President-elect Drew G. Faust will be able to find an O’Brien equivalent in the College administration.

In many ways, however, O’Brien and Badaracco will be irreplaceable. We wish them the best and thank them for four years of tireless work on behalf of the students of Harvard College.